  • Anselm Lingnau

    Anselm Lingnau Feb. 3, 2006, 1:50 p.m. (Message 44097)

    Re: curious

    Sophie Rickebusch wrote:

    > That's what I meant, although obviously I didn't explain it very well. In
    > my case they're called "unnamed". They're not attachments in the real sense
    > (ie. something the sender attached), it's just the way some messages (HTML
    > ones?) appear in some mail applications.

    Looking at the last few messages I noticed the following: Mailman seems to
    want to append the »link« trailer to the message using a particular character
    encoding (ISO-8859-1, to be exact). If the message is already using that
    encoding to start with (as mine do), it is simply appended to the original
    message body, but if the message's encoding is different (say, »us-ascii«),
    the trailer goes in as an attachment. This is sensible, from one point of
    view; from another point of view it is stupid because nothing in the trailer
    actually requires the national characters in ISO-8859-1.

    >From a third point of view, the trailer is no use, anyway, and an utter waste
    of bandwidth to boot, so I've turned it off in the list configuration. Should
    have done that a year ago, actually. Let's see how things turn out now.

    > If I'm in doubt about a message
    > and can't view the source (my provider's web-application won't let me), I
    > usually go and check if it's in the latest postings on the strathspey
    > homepage.

    Good strategy.

    Anselm
    Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                                                            -- George Bernard Shaw