  • Jean Martin

    Jean Martin Feb. 3, 2006, 1:11 p.m. (Message 44089)

    Re: The Guid Man of Ballangigh

    Hi there, Marie
    I had no involvement with RSCDS HQ Committees when Book 30 was produced but
    we danced The Guidman here in Aberdeen.  It was danced as a SLOW jig and
    required a lot of control, (cf. The Gentle Shepherd) which may be the reason
    why it lost popularity.  The instructions I had originally exactly replicate
    the movements in the Book 30 dance though they are expressed differently.
    You mention a different spelling - is it Balangeich?
    The dance was a favourite with Tibbie Cramb who was probably on the
    Publications Committee at that time.  John Drewry may also have been on the
    Committee and I'll check with him.
    Jean Martin
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Marie Disiewicz" <xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
    To: "SCD news and discussion" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
    Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 9:48 AM
    Subject: The Guid Man of Ballangigh

    Hi Everyone
    I would like to know who was around when the RSCDS produced The Guidman of
    Ballangigh in Book 30.

    I have the printed music for 3 versions in The Playford Ball.
    Three dances all different than the one in Book 30.
    The spelling is a little different also.

    I would love to know the Royal Scottish Country Dance history on this one.
    Cheers