  • Brian Charlton

    Brian Charlton Feb. 3, 2006, 1:41 a.m. (Message 44064)

    Re: Eccles Rant - No Answers?

    Dear Chris,

    No replies? I couldn't let no-one make comment (but now I see Martin
    Sheffield has).

    Remember that the 18th Century Book was produced (I understand) by the
    'opposition' of the Society - Jack McConachie was not connected to the
    RSCDS, so his interpretations of the Young Manuscript tend to be different
    to what the RSCDS might have produced.

    My personal preference would be to complete the 'petronella' tunr as
    described, i.e facing your partner. There is plenty of time to cast as it is
    a strathspey.

    I would suggest that the stepping-up would be McConachie's preference and
    not mentioned in the original MS.

    The diagram in the book shows that the 1st couple retain nearer hands before
    the circle.

    Note that the tune is given as "Eccles' Rant", so maybe it was named for a
    person named Eccles, though it would be well before Spike Milligan was born!

    I don't think anyone will be worried how you interpret the dance. If I were
    teaching it, I would stick closely to the description in the book, then I
    have the fall-back to queries "it's in the book".

    Brian Charlton,
    Sydney, Australia.