  • Alasdair Graham

    Alasdair Graham Jan. 31, 2006, 9:52 p.m. (Message 44006)

    Re: Skean Dubh WAS Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Richard Goss" <xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>
    To: "SCD news and discussion" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
    Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:31 PM
    Subject: Re: Scottish Country Dancing VS Scottish Folk Dancing

    > "16-year-old was unable to persuade staff at his school in Holt,
    > Michigan,that the item [Skean Dubh] was as accepted a part of his costume
    >  > as the kilt and sporran"
    > Where I live, it is common to carry a knife, and most males do.

    Here in the West of Scotland if you are wearing Highland Dress and try to
    enter a Nightclub you will be asked by the bouncers if your Skean Dubh is
    real or an imitation.  If it is real you are refused entry, the reason they
    give is that someone else may pull it out of your hose and use it as a
    weapon.
    Almost all shops selling Skean Dubh's now stock identical ones to the knife
    type but with no metal blade just the resin material continuing down for the
    normal blade length.  If you buy one of these then take a file to round the
    edges which touch against your leg - saves it causing irritation.  Men
    wearing Highland Dress are often seen queuing to enter the nightclubs in the
    West End of Glasgow (presumably with this being the main student area).

    Alasdair Graham,
    Dumbarton, Scotland.