Jim Healy

E pluribus unum (was: What happened?)

Nov. 6, 2001, 10:25 p.m. (Message 28061)

John Fenningworth writes:

>As a final remark as a Scot I would say to all those "members"
>who aren't really interest then leave the Society now and save
>the Society a fortune in producing things in which you are not
>really interested And to all real true members pay your
>subscriptions direct to HQ and make things even better

No, John. E pluribus unum (out of the many, one) is not the motto of the
United States by chance. As the recent election of George W Bush showed,
there comes a point when, whatever form of democracy has been agreed, it has
to be accepted. I argued, both privately and in the meeting, that the
Bristol Motion (formerly Option C or 3) was the right answer. That option
was defeated by a handsome majority. I reserve the right to think that the
majority was wrong but, within the system we have, the only options I have
are to continue to fight for my views from within (as I shall do, to no
surprise from Alan or Jean) or leave the Society. Your argument suggests
that YOU should leave the Society not the “real true members”.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland