  • Adam Hughes

    Adam Hughes Nov. 6, 2001, 7:39 p.m. (Message 28058)

    Re: Lead up - which hand?

    Patricia Ruggiero wrote:
    > ...meant mostly to express my surprise at discovering that
    > possibly *in those days* both palms faced downward -- a point about which I
    > don't recall ever hearing or reading.

    Interesting.  I don't think I've ever been taught how to join nearer
    hands.

    It comes naturally to me to offer my hand with the palm facing toward me
    and slighty up.  Then as I turn to face the same direction as my
    partner, my hand rotates, so that my partner's palm is resting on the
    back of my hand, and my palm is down.  If/when I turn to face my partner
    again, my hand rotates so that face to face my palms are up.  My
    forefinger stays in constant contact with my partners fingers.

    I suspect it was my mother who taught me to offer my arm to a lady with
    my fist gently balled and and the palm down...

    > Maybe we could revive the "Scottish Branle".......(just kidding!)

    :-)  I have two friends who often dance a circle with a capriol at the
    change of direction, although I doubt that's what they'd call it...
    It's close...

    Adam
    Cambridge, UK.