  • Harrison, Rosemary M

    Harrison, Rosemary M Nov. 4, 2001, 9:02 p.m. (Message 28039)

    PS Lead up - which hand?

    Sorry - I've just spotted a silly inversion of "up" and "down"! Corrected
    version of my message a few minutes ago below.
    Rosemary M Harrison

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Harrison, Rosemary M
    Sent: 04 November 2001 19:47
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: RE: Lead up - which hand? - CORRECTED VERSION

    From my memories of dabbling in historical dance a couple of decades ago,
    the earlier periods of court dancing tended to have the "man's palm UP,
    woman's palm DOWN" type of hold, which I think evolved gradually by stages
    into the "shake-hand" hold common today. (Before that, I believe there was a
    very early version where both the man and the woman had their palms facing
    down.) If this is correct then it would be consistent with a preference for
    taking nearer hands in earlier periods, since a right hand lead would be
    awkward unless a "shake-hand" way of taking hands were used.

    Rosemary M Harrison
    Colchester UK