Anselm Lingnau

Re: Changing of hands.

Nov. 2, 2001, 12:35 a.m. (Message 28021, in reply to message 28015)

Frans Ligtmans <xxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xx> writes:

> If joining Right Hands is a bit
> uncomfortable, solve the problem in an elegant way. It may be a challenge
> and more satisfying than just do it the easy way. Joining hands or changing
> of hands needs cooperation and gives opportunities to look in your partner's
> eyes while offering you hand.

I must say that once again I agree with Frans. There seems to be a
certain `modern' school of thought that says that dances should be as
streamlined as possible, so everybody gets to follow their noses all the
time with not a lot of thinking (or reacting to the other dancers in the
set) required, all the hands are always in the most convenient place for
what comes next, and so on. Dances devised according to this philosophy
are often very nice and pleasing to dance, but in my opinion there is
also a certain charm to dances that do have little kinks and special
places that require attention to be done well. Of course this, too, can
be carried too far; the nether reaches of RSCDS book 16 contain some
examples that might serve as a deterrent.

As far as Dalkeith's Strathspey is concerned, personally I don't think
crossing one's partner over with the right hand after leading down the
middle and up is enough of a bother as to imply leading down the middle
with a left hand instead, and I wouldn't suggest it to my class, but if
anybody desperately wanted to do it on these grounds I'd say feel free.
It's not as if it were a nuisance to the rest of the set.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
You could argue that Microsoft is the product of clever strategy, mediocre