  • Ken McFarland

    Ken McFarland Oct. 15, 2001, 8:16 p.m. (Message 27895)

    Re: Men dancing as ladies

    >From: xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx. Kirk wrote:
    >...have pity for the males who seldom get the practice and  therefore
    >provide comic relief when the  imbalance shifts and they >dance women's
    >side

    One of the best reasons for men to at least consider dancing
    with each other once in a while, is to avoid these episodes of
    comic relief, unless someone has a great desire to look like a fool.

    When teaching an intermediate or advanced class in the past, at some point
    in the course, I would have the entire set change sides, so that
    everyone was doing the dance from the other side. The learning at those
    times is quicker and of different issues. I saw how the men had increased
    awareness of the need to give a good leading hand or arm hold, and how the
    women learned how important it was for them to offer a strong leading hold
    when they were leading. Infact, all movements that involved 'leading'
    improved after that class lesson was taught. (For example, allemande has an
    option for leading, whereas rights and lefts do not, so there was less
    improvement).

    After this lesson I noticed an improvement in the responsiveness (or
    connectedness) between the two dancers. As a class they all knew the
    geography of the set better. In some cases I even saw an improvement in
    covering in reels. And after I had introduced all of them to the idea that
    they could benefit as a group and as individuals from learning the other
    side of the dance, they would occasionally choose to do so on their own. Our
    episodes of comic relief diminished though...

    Ken McFarland