Chris1Ronald

Re: Pre-Booking

Oct. 14, 2001, 6:59 a.m. (Message 27883, in reply to message 27791)

In a message dated 10/13/2001 7:22:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx writes:
> Whilst at a dance anyone has the right to dance with whoever they like, mass
> pre-booking does seem to me to cause more problems than it solves.

I've finally decided to plunge into this thread.  I've danced quite a bit in
the eastern US and Canada, as well as in a few parts of southern England,
continental Europe and even in Africa (Botswana and Zimbabwe) and India, and
I'm happy to say that I've never encountered the pre-booking phenomenon
(malaise) except in its mildest forms. And I hope I never will. (For example,
I have never seen dancers filling out their ball programmes with names
against each dance.)

I would welcome advice (privately perhaps) about any black spots in the world
so far as pre-booking is concerned.

And, as for men dancing on the ladies side, this happens quite often at
Pinewoods (as you, Hollis, may recall) since there are often more men than
women doing SCD while the step classes are taking place. And I certainly
learned something dancing the allemande as a woman with a partner several
inches shorter than myself.

Chris.