Hollis Easter

Re: Pre-Booking

Oct. 13, 2001, 9:51 p.m. (Message 27877, in reply to message 27876)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Eric Ferguson wrote:

> ladies pair off in twos?  I have yet to see any men joining a set as
> a two-man couple !

This seems to be socially questionable, at least in the United States. It
happens to me most often if I've gone off to get a drink of water and
returned after the mass partner-choosing.

At any rate, I've always gotten strange looks (and usually some
disapproving ones) for doing this, which strikes me as a little bit sad. I
don't think there's any method for avoiding it, though--dancers will
disapprove according to their own values, and I have _no_ idea how to get
that to stop :).

Maybe they just don't like it because it messes up their internal dance
patterning to see a 180-lb 5'11" gentleman dancing as a lady.

Cheers,
Hollis