KeithNap

Re: Australian Ladies

Oct. 12, 2001, 2:03 p.m. (Message 27860, in reply to message 27804)

> From: Ian Thomson <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx.xx>
> Subject: Australian Ladies 1
>
> I have it on the very best authority that this dance was devised in May
> 1967 in New Zealand by Bob Campbell of Canada for Jean Conway, Elma See,
> Lorraine Dyall,
> and Margaret Gray of the Newcastle (Aust.) Colleges Strathspey and Reel
> Club.
> Elma See was one of the distinguished teachers at the 26th Australian
> Winter School held here in Brisbane recently. (This is the version where
> the corners set and cross while the dancing couple keep crossing between
> them to the right.)

Hi,
       Of the four Australian ladies mentioned above, only on Elma See is
still actively involved with Scottish Country Dancing.   The dance was
written by Bob Campbell who was inspired by a photograph of a winning
competition team at the Highland Games on New years day in Sydney in the
early 60s.   He wrote the dance to a pipe tune,  Australian Ladies.
Unfortunately, the Australian men in the team seem to have been forgotten.
One of them, Heinz Duewell, was also at the Queensland winter school, still
dancing at 80.  Elma See's husband, Hugh was another, although no longer
dancing.

Bob Campbell never came to either New Zealand or Australia, so the dance was
not written in New Zealand.

I remember first learning this dance, with the second and third couples
dancing rights and lefts with setting in bars 17 to 32, whereas in the
Glasgow Assembly book when published the second and third couples cross with
the right hands each time.  In my archives I have a typewritten copy of the
dance, source unidentified, in which the second and third couples dance
rights and lefts.

(Hays) Australian Ladies was written on 29th June 1966, but the dance was not
published until 1994, after Alec Hays death, thus it is not as well known.
Bob Campbells was written in May 1967, and was published in 1976.   The two
dances are completely different.   Hays instructions recommend the Music "Gay
Gordons" by Stan Hamilton and "The Flying Scotsman" in R.C.A. victor R.P.L.
3404.   The dance is named for the tune Australian Ladies used in the
recording.

Keith Napier
Sydney Australia