  • Ian McHaffie

    Ian McHaffie Oct. 10, 2001, 2:01 p.m. (Message 27838)

    Re: Request for written instructions for Australian Ladies

    Rosemary: I looked at the printing history on my edition of Glasgow
    Assembly: -- 5th printing, 1990 -- and, who knows, there may have
    been others since! This must make it one of the most popular books
    other than the RSCDS publications, some of the eariest of which must
    have been through multiple printings and editions by now.

    In looking through the Glasgow Assembly book again, I made two
    interesting discoveries.

    Firstly, there is a note about Australian Ladies, which I hadn't
    noticed before,  -- thanking Iain Boyd for the changes in bars 23 &
    24 and bars 31 & 32 -- and also for a change in bar 8. I wonder what
    change that was?? Perhaps the previous version had the dancers finish
    the four hands across on the sidelines and then dance in for the lead
    up. The dance was devised in 1967 for four Australian Ladies. Is any
    one of them a Strathspey subscriber? Perhaps one of them recalls the
    occasion and the changes.

    My second observation was how clearly all the dances are described.
    Bob's descriptions seem to set a standard for how to describe a dance
    for someone who hasn't seen it danced. I have sometimes tried to work
    my way through an unfamiliar dance from the written instructions,
    only to find out that I didn't really know at the end what the
    devisor had in mind.  Bob's clarity often needs more words than there
    is room for on a "crib". --- Which relates to a previous thread.
    Should a crib teach the dance precisely from scratch to someone who
    has never heard of it? Or should it serve to remind a reasonably
    experienced dancer of the main figures?

    Ian McHaffie
    xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xx