  • Nancy Lorimer

    Nancy Lorimer Oct. 9, 2001, 6:40 p.m. (Message 27830)

    Re: Protocol/ethis for hiring/un-hiring a band...

    I usually lurk on this list, but I feel very strongly about this.

    A band can be booked tentatively for an occasion with an agreement on both
    sides to confirm or withdraw by a certain date. In such a case, it would be
    okay to unbook them in favor of another group as long as it is by that
    date. Otherwise, unhiring a band in favor of one with greater name
    recognition  seems to me to be demeaning and unethical. Legal
    considerations aside (a booking is a contract), such an action is unlikely
    to benefit a dance group in the long run. The unhired group will likely
    think twice about booking with the organization again after being treated
    in such a manner. It is also quite possible that the chosen group, on
    learning they have been put in the awkward position of putting other
    musicians out of a job, will also be more cautious in future. To place it
    all in another perspective--if a dance group booked a band for a weekend
    workshop and the band then cancelled in favor of a gig that was
    better-paying, would the group book them again?

    I admit all my own experience playing as a freelance musician was not in
    this country and in classical music, where a group carrying out such a
    change would still have to pay me the full fee. But a colleague with
    freelance experience here immediately said that if such a thing happened to
    him, he would not work with that group again if he had understood the
    booking to be a confirmed one. SCD musicians may work more informally, and
    may be quite accommodating in schedule changes, etc., but there is still
    the matter of basic respect for your musicians (and fellow SCD enthusiasts)
    who are an important part of the SCD community.

    Nancy Lorimer
    Mountain View, CA