  • Jan Wilson

    Jan Wilson Oct. 9, 2001, 6:29 a.m. (Message 27806)

    Re: Request for written instructions for Australian Ladies

    The most commonly danced 'Australian Ladies' here in Sydney is Bob
    Campbell's dance published in Glasgow Assembly.

    Alec Hay's 'Australian Ladies' is published in Book One of "A Selection of
    20 Scottish Country Dances Devised by Alec Hay".  This is (or was) published
    by the Howick Scottish Country Dance Club in NZ and copies can probably be
    obtained from the secretary who was (some years ago!) Mrs R Muldoon, 67A
    Cockle Bay Road, Howick, Auckland.  New Zealand.  This dance is usually
    referred to as "Hay's Australian Ladies" and it is a 4 x 32 bar reel for 4
    couples.

    I have never danced Hay's A. L. and, as far as I know, it has not been
    danced in Sydney - however, I just might get it out and have a go at it next
    week! Bars 19-20 could be interesting to achieve!

    Jan Wilson
    Alexandria, Sydney
    Australia
    -----Original Message-----
    From: xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xx <xxxxxx@xxxx.xxxxxxxxx.xx>
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
    Date: Tuesday, 9 October 2001 10:09
    Subject: Request for written instructions for Australian Ladies

    I belong to a SCD group in Thunder Bay, we would like to add
    Australian Ladies to our repertoire, and I am trying to obtain a
    copy of the written instructions for this dance. Dr. James Smith (in
    Vancouver) kindly sent me the version devised by Robert M Campbell,
    and mentioned that there is another version by Alex Hay. I tried to
    find a copy of this on the Strathspey site but could only find very
    general and brief details, not instructions for dance itself. Would
    it be possible for you to email me a copy of the instructions for the
    Alex Hay version, or tell me where I might find them on the internet
    (or a book title if published in book form). Also, is one version
    more popular (or more widely performed) than the other?
    With thanks,
    Dennis Roddy