  • Brian Charlton

    Brian Charlton Oct. 5, 2001, 8:37 a.m. (Message 27755)

    RE: Cribs (was Re: Square dancing.)

    G'Day,

    Briefing is usually done in Australia, too, particularly at Socials.

    When in Scotland for the Summer School a few years ago, we went to the dance
    at Carnoustie and were amazed when, not only were the dances called, but
    even the name of the dance was not given - the band played 8 bars, the MC
    said 'All sets complete?' and away we went!! They even had the hide to thank
    the MC!!!

    Brian Charlton,
    Sydney, Australia

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Lara Friedman-Shedlov [mailto:xxxxxx@xx.xxxxx.xxx]
    Sent: Thursday, 4 October 2001 11:29 PM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: Re: Cribs (was Re: Square dancing.)

    Quoting Adam Hughes <xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xx.xx>:
    > Is it the norm outside the UK (or even in the UK) for dances to be
    > briefed?

    Yes, I'd say it is the norm for dances to be briefed in the United
    States and Canada, from my experience anyway (I've been SCD dancing in
    California, Washington state, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin,
    Minnesota, and Ontario).

    However, I found that in Scotland, where I learned to SCD in the 1980s
    and early 1990s, it was not the usual practice to brief dances at
    social events (at least not at that time).  When I first started
    dancing here in the U.S.  I thought that giving briefings was kind of
    wimpy, but now I believe they are a very good idea.  For one thing,
    they make a dance far more welcoming to people who are newer to SCD or
    who have a different learning style (who take things in better by
    hearing them rather than reading).  It also makes the dance more
    welcoming to people from out of town, who may not be as familiar with
    the dances on the program as the local folks.

    --Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    Minneapolis, MN  USA

    Lara Friedman-Shedlov
    xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx