Donna Robinson

Cribs (was Re: Square dancing.)

Oct. 4, 2001, 10:38 p.m. (Message 27749, in reply to message 27704)

Hi,

As a newbie to SCD, it has taken vast amounts of determination and fortitude
to overcome the RSCDS's elitist (sorry guys) attitude w.r.t. cribs and/or
briefings. I find this somewhat confusing: the RSCDS rolls aren't in great
shape and yet making life easier for us newcomers doesn't seem a high
priority!  It is definitely the case that some of our group (Beginners) fight
shy of attending balls/dances due directly to this lack (although our
wonderful teacher does help).

Adam Hughes wrote:
> I certainly am looked down on by the local
> RSCDS Branch for dumbing down SCD
Well Adam, I am a member of that local group, and I can tell you that this is
*not* the attitude of the "students".  So keep up the good work and the devil
take the hindmost.

I might add that every single dance at St Andrew's Summer School this year
was briefed just beforehand irrespective of difficulty level, and cribs for
all the dances were handed out at the beginning of the week.  Perhaps change
is on the way ...

Donna
Cambridge, UK