  • Lee Fuell

    Lee Fuell Oct. 2, 2001, 12:43 p.m. (Message 27654)

    Re: What do you think about this?

    Anselm,

    Re:

    Date sent:      	Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:32:05 +0200
    From:           	Anselm Lingnau <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>

    > Everything else that comes on top of that is, at the end of
    > the day, a luxury that is up to personal ambition, of which some
    > dancers seem to have much more than their fair share and others none
    > at all; it's usually the former who you're going to find at workshops
    > and other venues of self-improvement but the latter can be just as
    > sociable, fun to be with, and important for their groups/clubs/...

    Excellent points all, especially the above.  My concern lies with the
    potential for "disconnects in perception" between teachers and
    social dancers, leading to diminishing participation due to classes
    with too much footwork & other technique practice, not enough
    dancing (it's happened here).  I think the very nature and rigor of our
    teacher certification process causes our teachers to come from the
    "more than their fair share of personal ambition" end of the the
    spectrum (not a criticism, just an observation - it has to take more
    than middlin' ambition to go through the process).  (Note to
    readers:  please don't interpret "ambition" used in this context as a
    perjorative; it's not.)  The potential result is that teachers, given this
    predisposition for personal improvement, may have a different
    perception of what constitutes a fun, balanced class than do the
    socially-oriented class members.

    So the challenge remains - how do teachers balance the need to
    maintain the fundamental character of SCD (i.e., proper technique)
    with the need to develop (or keep) lots of dancers on the floor
    dancing SCD?  Striking the right balance is, I expect, far from
    easy.

    Happy dancing,

    Lee