  • Lee Fuell

    Lee Fuell Oct. 1, 2001, 11:31 p.m. (Message 27633)

    Re: What do you think about this?

    Related question,
    Does contra dancing have as rigorous a teacher certification
    process as SCD, with the significant emphasis our process places
    on at least seeking perfection in technique?  Personally, I enjoy the
    challenge of seeking (but failing to obtain...) perfection, but as my
    branch well knows, I fear over-emphasis on technique at the
    expense of just having fun is a major deterrent to mass
    participation (and perhaps a contributor to declining numbers in
    SCD groups).  Every group has its own personality, of course, but I
    think our teacher certification process inherently selects for an
    emphasis on technique.
    It's a bit of a conundrum, actually - it's the technique that makes
    SCD Scottish; but it's the technique that makes it hard.  Without
    the technique, it's not SCD, but with too much emphasis on
    technique, no one does SCD...
    Thoughts?  Counter-points?
    Send reply to:
    From:           	Marilynn Knight <>