  • Marilynn Knight

    Marilynn Knight Oct. 1, 2001, 7:45 p.m. (Message 27619)

    RE: What do you think about this?

    Actually, I have to agree with you, Anselm.  I do believe that my early
    morning pseudo-gestalt does imbed a cautionary when we think about
    attracting others, perhaps?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Anselm Lingnau [mailto:xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
    Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 12:09 PM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: Re: What do you think about this?

    Marilynn Knight <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes:

    > What is the principle
    > difference between Contra Dance Groups and Scottish Country Dance Groups,
    > both ostensibly social:  one puts people ahead of perfection, the other
    puts
    > perfection ahead of people......???

    Whoa there, controversy alert! This reminds me of one of the entries in
    my signature file:

      What is the difference between Jurassic Park and Microsoft? One is a
      high-tech theme park dominated by dinosaurs, and the other is a Steven
      Spielberg movie.                                       -- Mike Hammond

    In fact I happen to believe that both genres do put people first, mostly
    (and, speaking for SCD groups I have known, in many instances they do!).
    They may differ in the degree of perfection that is desired by
    individual dancers, but I shall go out on a limb and claim that there
    will be contra dancers who strive for perfection just as there will be
    Scottish country dancers who don't appear to mind scraping by with the
    barest minimum necessary. Both these species must rely on the indulgence
    of their fellow dancers :^)

    Anselm
    --
    xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx