  • John K. Andrews

    John K. Andrews Sept. 28, 2001, 7:57 a.m. (Message 27574)

    Re: Domino 5

    Domino 5 was devised by Derek Haynes and is published in The Fourth Carnforth
    Collection of Scottish Country Dances available from TAC Books.

    The following description is quoted from the pamphlet:

    Four dancers, numbered 1 to 4 clockwise, each stand at one corner of a square
    facing a fifth dancer in the middle who faces the top, looking out between
    numbers 1 and 4.
    1-4 Numbers 1, 2 and 5 dance RH across once round.
    5-8 Numbers 3, 4 and 5 dance LH across once around.
    9-16 Numbers 1, 3 and 5 dance a diagonal reel of three, #1 and #5 pass RS to
    start.
    17-24 Numbers 2, 4 and 5 dance a diagonal reel of three, #4 and #5 pass LS to
    start.
    25-26 Numbers 1 and 5 change places passing RS.
    27-28 Numbers 1 and 4 change places passing RS.29-30 Numbers 3 and 4 change
    places passing RS.
    31-32 Numbers 2 and 3 change places passing RS.

    Tune:  The Cambridge Hornpipe (Trad.) recorded by Alastair Hunter on the CD
    "The Etive Selection" DACD 0022.  Good alternatives are The Chester Hornpipe
    recorded by Iain MacPhail or David Cunningham's The Plantaion Reel on HRMCD
    503.

    Note: Bars 25-32: each track from one corner to the next should be a smooth
    curve.

    This dance is great fun and has become quite a favorite of our local basic
    dance classes.  I highly recommend it and other dances by Derek Haynes.

    Happy dancing,

    Jay Andrews
    Alexandria, VA