Anselm Lingnau

Important (was: Re: a Letter)

Sept. 24, 2001, 5:49 p.m. (Message 27491)

xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

> Such events are indeed important to SCD, and no doubt several dances
> will come out of it. As to the war at hand, I can only look to previous wars
> such as WWII to say that the survival of freedom, including the freedom to
> practice Scottish Country Dancing, depends entirely on winning the war.
> Therefore the letter I sent, largely about things individuals can do to
> assist, is highly relevant.

Now *this* is a very long shot IMHO. Really. The fact that computers
have a Delete key does not give anyone the license to post whatever
tickles their fancy. I have explained this to you on and off the list
several times already and I'm not going to waste any more time doing
this again.

As far as I'm concerned this takes the cake -- I'm fed up with this and
won't have any more of it on this list. How much more time am I supposed
to spend reminding people of what this list is supposed to be about, on
this list and in private mail, to try and ensure that postings are kept
confined to what is the expressed purpose of the list, namely

  The Strathspey mailing list is a forum for the discussion of all aspects
  of Scottish country dancing, e.g., dance descriptions, dancing
  technique, the history of dances and dancing, learning or teaching how
  to dance, dance music, ... We also welcome descriptions of new dances,
  announcements of events like courses or balls, or anything related to
  Scottish country dancing that the subscribers might find interesting.

??? Quite a few people have written to me expressing their displeasure
at the newest round of non-SCD postings, and it is with the utmost
regret that I hereby proclaim the following:

  Anybody (and I mean ANYBODY) who now or until further notice utters as
  much as a `peep' on this list concerning the topic at hand -- the WTC
  attacks, proposed military and/or individual countermeasures, how to
  handle terrorism in general, whether to bomb Afghanistan back to the
  stone age, and so on) in a posting that does not at the same time
  contain LOTS of closely-related SCD content will be kicked off the
  list for a month at the (dis)pleasure of the list maintainer.

Please take your political debates elsewhere -- there are lots of places
that will be more than happy to take them, or you can use Yahoo! Groups
or whatever other similar outfit you like to create your own mailing
list, but please leave Strathspey out of it and let us go back to
discussing Scottish dancing.

I don't know what else I can do to instill some sense in the
proceedings, and anyway `massive retaliation' seems to be the order of
the day. Of course I would greatly appreciate not having to take action
as outlined above but everybody rest assured that I *will* do so should
the need arise.

Anselm (annoyed)