  • Marilynn Knight

    Marilynn Knight Sept. 18, 2001, 8:55 p.m. (Message 27420)

    RE: Afghan opinion

    Inyouropinion....IMHO, hyphens can unite us and give us added, wonderful
    color.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx [mailto:xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx]
    Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 2:15 PM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: Re: Afghan opinion

    In a message dated Tue, 18 Sep 2001  1:34:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Tim
    Harrison <xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx> writes:

    > We are all hyphenated Americans or descended from them, unless Native
    American.

    Harrison
    > -- Austin, Texas

    --- A "Native" of anywhere is someone who was born there. The so called
    "NAtive Americans," meaning American Indians, also are immigrants. My family
    has been here 10 generations...before this country was this country. I was
    born here. I am, therefore, a native. As for hyphens...especially in a time
    of war there is no room for a half-assed committment. We must be united as
    Americans. Hyphens split us up.

    s/RBJ