James Cameron Orr Jim

Jean Milligan

Feb. 27, 1995, 5:50 p.m. (Message 1113)

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 13:17:37 -0500 (EST)
	From: "Andrew J. Smith" <xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx.xxx>

>There seems to be a trend nowadays, particularly in North America, to
>trash Jean Milligan and everything she did.  I realize that there are
>criticisms to be made of many aspects of the RSCDS, but remember that
>without Jean Milligan we would probably not be having this conversation,
>or deriving this much pleasure from our dancing.
>
>	Just a thought.
>
>	Andrew Smith

I agree; I think it's a reaction to the reverence with which she was
treated - at least on her North American tours.  I spent some time
chatting with her in the 1960s when she visited the Boston area.
As someone from "the old country" who knew well one of her contemporary
friends/rivals in the Scottish gym-teacher scene (Aunt Jessie Campbell),
we at least had something other than SCD to talk about.  I found her to
be a very likeable, intelligent, warm person.  On the dance floor as an
instructor, though, she came across as a bit authoritarian in an audience
of people, some of whom were not into accepting authority.
   We owe her a lot.
   I'd really like to hear impressions of her from people who knew her
well.
   Is anyone aware of scholarly work done on the early days of the RSCDS,
probably before it was "R"?  Who was Mrs Stewart of Fasnacloich?
Where is Fasnacloich anyway?

                                  Jim Orr
                                Newfoundland