strathspey Archive: Pillings

Pillings

Message 9863 · William Crawford · 19 Dec 1997 15:46:59 · Top

BTW I would appreciate an address and/or fax number where I could get a
replacement copy of Pillings. I'm looking forward to dancing some day in a
country where few people speak English, with only a little green book to
keep me passing the correct shoulder ...

Ron Macnaughton
Bolton Ontario

We have a few copies of the hard-back version of edition 6 available at £4.95 plus postage.
UK £0.50, EC £0.75, Elsewhere £1.50. (Limited offer!!)

William

William Crawford
highlander.music@zetnet.co.uk
Unit 7D, Muir Of Ord Ind. Est., Ross-shire, IV6 7UA, Scotland
Tel: 01463 871422 Fax: 01463 871433

Pillings

Message 9894 · mgillespie · 21 Dec 1997 19:38:33 · Top

When I did my Prelim it was impressed upon me that I should be able to dance as
a Man or Woman. It therefore matters little whether the "Wee Book' is green pink
or blue!

Regards,

Malcolm Gillespie (Zimbabwe)

(Internet address: mgillespie@mango.zw)

Pillings

Message 9961 · Bryan McAlister · 31 Dec 1997 20:22:19 · Top

Pillings use of basic symbols which a user has to to expand in their
own mind to form a dance seems to me ideal for a context which is not
dissimilar to that of a musician, ie interpreting symbols to make a
coherent reality.
They do require a certain familiarity, In my case I was aware of
Pillings a long time before I started Country dancing and just took my
copy to classes and after each dance looked over the symbols.
In doing so I had to overtly ignore the comments of the teacher to the
effect that wee green books were not appreciated in her class. I suppose
I must be thick skinned but I learned to read the dances quite quickly,
(once you know them you dont need to go to classes).
I find text descriptions of dances quite indecipherable.

Drawbacks - when you produce a Pillings for a quick reminder before
taking the floor you are immediately surrounded by dancers who cant be
bothered coming to terms with the symbols, or who rely on text.
Unacceptable use - holding a Pillings in your left hand while doing the
dance - not on at all!!!
Perils to avoid - contradicting the caller when what the say seems
different to the instructions in Pillings, even if Pillings is right
(not always the case) it makes em mad.

Thought for 1998 - its amazing how long some callers will stand shouting
two more couples required when quite obviously everyone is already on
the floor:-)
Resolution for 1998 - when there are two or more couples spare,
encourage them to dance as three couple sets ( ie more shots at the
dance) not as 5 couple sets which are a bummer if you're 4th couple.

Have a Great New Year
Bryan McAlister B. Arch RIBA ARIAS MaPS, Linlithgow,Scotland
Web page http://www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
/\
_ _ / \
_/# #\__^__/____\_
__IIIII__#__IIIIII_________

Pillings

Message 9976 · Ron Mackey · 3 Jan 1998 00:31:01 · Top

> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 18:28:32 +0000
> From: Bryan McAlister <bryan@bryanmac.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Pillings

> In doing so I had to overtly ignore the comments of the teacher to the
> effect that wee green books were not appreciated in her class. I suppose
> I must be thick skinned but I learned to read the dances quite quickly,
> (once you know them you don't need to go to classes).
> I find text descriptions of dances quite indecipherable.

Hi,
It seems just as well that there some people who take the trouble to
read dances in longhand or there wouldn't be any Pilling WGBs!
Does anyone actually devise dances using Pilling notation rather than
the written word? I can't quite imagine the process.
Cheers
Ron Mackey London UK
+---------------------------------------------------+ < 0
| EMail Ron Mackey mailto:Ron.Mackey@BTinternet.com | `O>
| or via http://www.newone.demon.co.uk/ -----+--+---| /#\
| or RMM@newone.demon.co.uk -------+-----+-----+-| |>
+-------------------------------------------------+-| -

Pillings

Message 9992 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 3 Jan 1998 17:47:38 · Top

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998, Ron Mackey wrote:

> Does anyone actually devise dances using Pilling notation rather than
> the written word? I can't quite imagine the process.

I devise dances in my head, thinking in three dimensions. Then I write
them down in synbols, Pilling for the common ones, and more detailled
diagrams for the others. After I've tried them out, I type them up by go
to the RSCDS books to see how to say the words and then I translate my
symbols into these strange other symbols called words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Pillings

Message 10005 · Martin.Sheffield · 4 Jan 1998 16:51:24 · Top

>Does anyone actually devise dances using Pilling notation rather than
>the written word?

I certainly don't use words to devise a dance. I do make little diagrams to
note the position of each dancer at the end of each movement -- but not
Pilling diagrams which don't give you that info.

I have also devised one or two dances in my head on sleepless nights -- now
that is real mental gymnastics, getting every dancer into right progressed
place on the right side on the 32nd bar.
Actually the exercise is so difficult, I now use it as a way of going off
to sleep. Total mental exhaustion sets in quite quickly. Just as good as
counting sheep, but don't try setting in bed; your partner may be nearer
than you thought.

Priscilla wrote:
> I devise dances in my head, thinking in three dimensions.

Is the third dimension to determine how airborne the dancers should be?
What symbol would Mr Pilling have used for that?

Martin,
Grenoble, France.
------------------ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france
This web site has been revised:
...in.france/scd.htm -- Scottish Country Dance items,
...in.france/cycle.htm -- cycling, and urban transport items (mainly links),
...in.france/dances.htm -- a sampler of new dances,
...in.france/books.htm -- list of SCD booklets,
...in.france/CDlist.htm -- a selection of SCD recordings,
...in.france/calendar.htm -- SCD events in France,
...in.france/groups.htm -- SCD clubs in France.

Pillings

Message 10030 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 5 Jan 1998 16:36:53 · Top

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, M Sheffield wrote:

> Priscilla wrote:
> > I devise dances in my head, thinking in three dimensions.
>
> Is the third dimension to determine how airborne the dancers should be?
> What symbol would Mr Pilling have used for that?

Not really. I look down from above to see the patterns, but that doesn't
make a good dance. I find that imagining that I am each person in the
dance gives me the knowledge of how the dance feels for these dancers.
True I could get up and dance it with imaginery dancers, but I'm often in
a place where that kind of behavior just wouldn't work (like sitting in a
plane waiting for takeoff).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

dance devising

Message 10021 · Peter Hastings · 5 Jan 1998 11:25:48 · Top

Hi Ron

Perhaps not exactly, but I certainly know devisors who conceive dances in
purely visual terms (in effect creating their own mental video of the
dance being done). This can then be transcribed in either words or
pictures.

cheers

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory