strathspey Archive: stocking filler ?

stocking filler ?

Message 9827 · Peter Hastings · 15 Dec 1997 17:01:57 · Top

There's a new 'Pilling' out - edition 7

It's effectively Edition 6

plus - Books 37,38,39 and (quick work !) Leaflet 32

minus - "Prince Charles of Edinburgh" (inevitable this year, I suppose)

plus

The Black, Black Oil
Cherrybank Gardens
The Kenora Reel
MacPherson's Jig
Midnight Oil
Snake Pass
and
The Witeadder Jig

still missing

Johnnie Walker
Macdonald of Sleat

No idea if they're widely available yet

Merry Christmas to one and all

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
(:

stocking filler ?

Message 9828 · Loren Wright · 15 Dec 1997 18:48:53 · Top

I seem to remember that some of the Graded Book dances were missing.
Have they been added by any chance?

Loren Wright <lorenw@rwp.mv.com>
Roger Wagner Publishing
Nashua, NH, USA

stocking filler ?

Message 9829 · Jennifer_Sawin · 15 Dec 1997 23:32:00 · Top

Peter Hastings wrote: >>There's a new 'Pilling' out - edition 7<<

Edition 7 already? I've barely dog-eared my edition 6! Also, I only
recently got most of my handwritten additions transferred to edition 6
from edition 5!

Is there anyone else who would appreciate the option to buy a separate
"upgrade" leaflet to paste into the back cover of their "wee green
book"? In other words, it could contain the new dances added to
edition 7 but not require all the personal annotations to be
re-written. I know I would love having this, and perhaps if there's
enough interest, we could request this of the editors.

Jenn Sawin

stocking filler ?

Message 9830 · Ned Dairiki · 15 Dec 1997 23:50:14 · Top

YES. Count me in...

ned dairiki
berkeley, ca

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 Jennifer_Sawin@pcmailgw.ml.com wrote:

> Is there anyone else who would appreciate the option to buy a separate
> "upgrade" leaflet to paste into the back cover of their "wee green
> book"? In other words, it could contain the new dances added to
> edition 7 but not require all the personal annotations to be
> re-written.
>
> Jenn Sawin

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9831 · Richard L. Walker · 16 Dec 1997 05:39:16 · Top

What I would really like is Pilling on CD-ROM or disk. Since that
is doomed for instant failure, I would opt for the "upgrade"
leaflet, similar to the TAC updates to TACNotes.

> Is there anyone else who would appreciate the option to buy a
> separate "upgrade" leaflet to paste into the back cover of their
> "wee green book"?

Richard L. Walker
Pensacola FL (City of Five Flags) USA
rlwalker@granis.net

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9833 · Alan Paterson · 16 Dec 1997 15:51:49 · Top

Richard L. Walker wrote:

> What I would really like is Pilling on CD-ROM or disk. Since that
> is doomed for instant failure, ...

This may not be all that far away, Richard. Dirk Taeger's DanceMaster
program is a step in that direction.

However, we may have to start up discussion on 'copyright' once more.
The Pillings editors have attempted to stop others using the notation
(to little effect as far as I can see), and they would certainly be a
touch annoyed if anyone was to publish diagrams of dances which they
have published.

Dirk, have you thought about any copyright problem?

Having said that, does anyone know if Pillings have cleared up the
copyright issue for the dances which they have 'copied'? Or, does the
'added value' thing apply here?

Maybe it's "Sauce for the goose..."

--
Alan Paterson
Berne, Switzerland

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9838 · Jennifer_Sawin · 17 Dec 1997 03:52:06 · Top

So far we have a market of at least three customers for the "upgrade"
leaflet. That may be enough to at least ask the publishers - anyone
know how to reach them most quickly and easily?

Jenn Sawin

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9840 · Ned Dairiki · 17 Dec 1997 09:25:06 · Top

Hardly enough, I should think.

ned dairiki

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 Jennifer_Sawin@pcmailgw.ml.com wrote:

> So far we have a market of at least three customers for the "upgrade"
> leaflet. That may be enough to at least ask the publishers - anyone
> know how to reach them most quickly and easily?

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9844 · Malcolm and Helen Brown · 17 Dec 1997 21:00:02 · Top

Jennifer Sawin wrote,

> So far we have a market of at least three customers for the "upgrade"
> leaflet. That may be enough to at least ask the publishers - anyone
> know how to reach them most quickly and easily?

Yes; I have copied the first seven items on this subject and am sending
them to Sue Ducket (the person currently looking after the "Wee Green Book")
for her comments, if any. As far as I know she is not on e-mail.

Malcolm

--
_ _
|_|_ |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown (York UK) - m.brown@netcomuk.co.uk (Tir-Nan-Og)

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9853 · Keith Rose · 19 Dec 1997 01:00:36 · Top

I have been very interested to see the messages about DanceMaster,
Pilling, copyright etc as I have a similar program which I have been
using since February 1991 to produce crib sheets for our own use
within the Bedfordshire Branch at record dances and balls. I have
not gone out of my way to publicise the program because I have been
unsure of the copyright stuation and not been keen to find out the
hard way.

I developed this program on an Amiga 500 using Basic and output files
in Postscript to be printed on a laser printer. After a couple of
years I upgraded to a PC but I still continue to output in
Postscript.

My program, having been developed before Windows took over the PC
world, uses its own GUI. I can select symbols from the on-screen
menu and position them on the dance crib using the mouse. There are
options to rotate and scale symbols. Lines can be drawn as straight
lines or Bezier curves and given arrowheads or tails as required.
Blocks of symbols can be moved, copied, rotated and mirrored all by
use of the mouse.

Over the past 7 years I have built up a library of 300 dances.
I store these in two formats, firstly as a list of symbol numbers and
coordinates, and also as a block of Postscript code ready to be
concatenated with others to produce a crib sheet. These files
average about 2k and 5k bytes each in size. I normally
print the crib sheets out in two columns on an A4 page for record
dances, but for our Balls I now produce an A6 booklet with both
diagrams and text for each dance. This task is automated, I select
the dances by number, check that the crib and text files are all on
disk check the page layout on screen, then print everything in the
correct page layout ready to be stapled and guillotined in half.
Using Postscript allows me to get the printer to put unique numbers
on each program. I can also produce high quality poster size cribs.

I have put an example of a crib as used for a record dance (It is
actually part of the suggested programme for our Ball next year) on
my Web site at
http:\\homepages.enterprise.net\krose\scd\cribsh.html
The resolution is poor because it has been converted from Postscript
to a GIF file.

I would be reluctant to release the program at the moment, it has a
couple of quirks that I can live with but I would not subject users
to. It should also be updated to run under Visual Basic. However,
what would be probably of most use to people is not being able to type in
their own version of Mairi's Wedding but to be able to access that
across the web, on disk, CDROM etc to produce cribsheets tailored for
their own dances.

However, as I said before, it is really the copyright position that
is my main concern.

Keith Rose
Keith Rose
Bedford, UK

Pilling "wee green" book?

Message 9872 · Chris Raisin · 19 Dec 1997 23:34:03 · Top

Please note that your reference to a home page contained in your recent
message (below) is incorrect and may confuse some of our readers...the
correct reference should be:

http://homepages.enterprise.net/krose/scd/cribsh.html

All references to sites on the Internet use a forward-slash (/) not a
back-slash (\)

Interesting site!

----------
> I have been very interested to see the messages about DanceMaster,
> Pilling, copyright etc as I have a similar program which I have been
> using since February 1991 to produce crib sheets for our own use
> within the Bedfordshire Branch at record dances and balls. I have
> not gone out of my way to publicise the program because I have been
> unsure of the copyright stuation and not been keen to find out the
> hard way.
>

> Over the past 7 years I have built up a library of 300 dances.

> I have put an example of a crib as used for a record dance (It is
> actually part of the suggested programme for our Ball next year) on
> my Web site at
> http:\\homepages.enterprise.net\krose\scd\cribsh.html
> The resolution is poor because it has been converted from Postscript
> to a GIF file.
>

> Keith Rose
> Bedford, UK

stocking filler ?

Message 9834 · Lara D. Friedman · 16 Dec 1997 16:45:35 · Top

It sounds good, but on the other hand, it's nice to have the dances in
alphabetical order, which insertable leaflets would make difficult. To
address that problem, how about including an alphabetical index to the
complete book along with each new insert?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lara Friedman~Shedlov You have the right to remain silent.
laradf@alumni.si.umich.edu Anything you say will be misquoted,
then used against you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 Jennifer_Sawin@pcmailgw.ml.com wrote:

> Is there anyone else who would appreciate the option to buy a separate
> "upgrade" leaflet to paste into the back cover of their "wee green
> book"? In other words, it could contain the new dances added to
> edition 7 but not require all the personal annotations to be
> re-written. I know I would love having this, and perhaps if there's
> enough interest, we could request this of the editors.
>
> Jenn Sawin
>
> --
> Jennifer_Sawin@pcmailgw.ml.com

stocking filler ?

Message 9835 · Martin.Sheffield · 16 Dec 1997 21:14:51 · Top

Jennifer asked:

> Is there anyone else who would appreciate the option to buy a separate
> "upgrade" leaflet to paste into the back cover of their "wee green
> book"?

No, because we'd be back in the situation of edition 5 with two sections in
one book, and the dances not in alphabetical order.

The price is not too high after all, so you could always try gluing
(pasting?) the old and the new editions together and tearing out the
duplicated pages.

Martin,
Grenoble, France.
------------------ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france