strathspey Archive: Ankle Injury

Ankle Injury

Message 8824 · Lisa Nelsen-Woods · 8 Sep 1997 16:35:44 · Top

I sustained an ankle injury last October and after surgery and _a lot_ of
complications I haven't been able to dance for a year :( I have been going
through intense physical therapy since March of this year and have now just
started dancing.

My problem is this. Throughout this whole mess I have developed tendonitis
in my post tearier teb (the tendon that starts at the underside of the
instep and goes up to about mid calf. You can feel it working when you pas
de basque.) It is a difficult tendon to exercise. I am getting to the
point in my therapy program that I am getting strong enough that toe raises
in 4th position with ankle weights, skip changing and slip stepping with
ankle weights aren't doing it anymore. I also do leg presses and toe
presses on a weight machine so I am building muscles.

Can anyone suggest any more exercises I can add to my PT program? My
doctors are wonderful and very open to suggestions but just don't know a
lot about SCD. If there are any step dancers out there who have certain
exercises, etc. that can help me I would interested in hearing about them.

Thanks!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods
Restorative Endodontic and Prosthetic Dentistry
Ohio State University
3005P Postle Hall
305 West 12th Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210-1241

nelsen-woods.1@osu.edu

Ankle Injury

Message 8838 · Donald F. Robertson · 9 Sep 1997 09:42:35 · Top

Dear Lisa,

I have permanent, chronic tendonitis of the same tendon. I have delt
with it by making stretching an every-day part of my life. I stretch
every day while waiting for the subway, standing in the stairwells of
subway cars (whilst reading the newspaper!) on the way to and from work,
in the elevator, et cetera. On a stair, I put my heel over the edge and
-- gently -- apply weight whilst keeping my leg straight. Sometimes,
when I'm trying to develop strength, I'll lift myself by flexing the
ankle. Otherwise, I use one of the standard dance stretches.

My doctor told me that one of the most important things is for very
active people to stretch before getting out of bed. Apparently, your
tendons tighten up during the night, and you do the most damage when you
first apply weight in the morning. She told me to take a string, put it
under the ball of my foot, and gently pull back until the ankle is bent,
then to keep pulling -- gently -- with the leg straight until your thigh
is lifted as high off the bed as it will go. The stretches the entire
set of tendons on the bottom of the foot and up the back of the leg
before you step on them in the morning. (Fair warning, though, my dance
teacher was dubious about stretching this early in the morning,
beleiving that it risked damage; I have found it effective, so maybe
it's worth the risk. Maybe you should ask your doctors their opinion
before trying it.)

I have found these two things -- stretching in bed before getting up,
and regular stretching throughout the day -- to work well in keeping my
tendonitis under control. I am able to keep dancing full out -- even
Highland dance -- while still having the tendonitis.

Hope these throughts help.

-- Donald

--
Donald F. Robertson

donaldrf@hooked.net
76217.2066@CompuServe.com

Donald's Space Exploration page:
http://www.hooked.net/~donaldrf/index.html

The known is finite, the unknown is infinite; intellectually
we stand on an islet in the midst of an illimitable ocean of
inexplicability. Our business in every generation is to
reclaim a little more land. -- Thomas Huxley.