strathspey Archive: Ladies' Sashes

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8691 · The_Healys · 29 Aug 1997 12:28:36 · Top

Oh Dear! Here we go again.

It's myths and fantasy time with not a little bit of one upmanship,
social climbing and Victorian snobbery getting in the way of good
sense.

There was a brief period when people actually cared about this
nonsense and the sash was worn on the left shoulder by the
Sovereign (which is why I say Victorian), the wives of Clan
Chieftains and the wives of Colonels of the Highland Regisments:
the Queen still wears it on the left. All other ladies wore it on
the right _except_ for married ladies who continued to wear their
own family tartan (their husband not being entitled to one - God
save us and preserve us) who wore it anywhwere other than over a
shoulder, in other words, belt style.

Miss Milligan apparently obtained agreement from the Lord Lyon King
at Arms (who was probably creased with laughter that anybody
bothered to ask) that lady members of the RSCDS should wear it on
the left shoulder. This has become standard practice for Branch
dem teams.

IMO, ike all status symbols as opposed to traditions with a reason
this particular piece of snobbery should be gently laid to rest and
the ladies should wear the sash as they think best goes with the
rest of their ensemble.

<Harrumph!>

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8696 · Jennifer_Sawin · 29 Aug 1997 18:21:09 · Top

<<snip>> this particular piece of snobbery should be gently laid to
rest and the ladies should wear the sash as they think best goes with
the rest of their ensemble.<<snip>>

Hear, hear, Jim - well put.

How's about this for an idea: All the ladies wear gowns that are cut
off one shoulder, thus neatly leaving only one option? (Please, to
avoid me coming up with additional private gory details on new topics,
do not, repeat, do NOT start the discussion about where to pin the
sash when the gown is actually strapless...)

regards,
Jenn

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8697 · Ian Brockbank 05-Jan-1995 0951 · 29 Aug 1997 18:27:02 · Top

Jennifer Sawin <Jennifer_Sawin@pcmailgw.ml.com> writes:

How's about this for an idea: All the ladies wear gowns that are cut
off one shoulder, thus neatly leaving only one option? (Please, to
avoid me coming up with additional private gory details on new topics,
do not, repeat, do NOT start the discussion about where to pin the
sash when the gown is actually strapless...)

That's easy. Fit the sash with an outrigger "fake strap". Or have it seem
to be a comet peering over your shoulder and down... perhaps I'd better
stop there. ;)

Cheers,

Ian

Ian.Brockbank@edo.mts.dec.com
Edinburgh, Scotland

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8700 · RSCDSSD · 29 Aug 1997 20:32:04 · Top

Amidst all the copious, but presumably important, details we delve into on
this list, once in a while someone delightfully bursts the bubble. Thank
you, Jim, for adding a good laugh to this morning's perusal of email.

BTW - Mr. Emmerson's assertions should always be taken with a large grain of
salt, including those on sashes.

The RSCDS received "permission" to wear sashes on the left shoulder, then
published Miss Milligan's Miscellanies in which the diagrams show the women
wearing sashes on the right shoulder!

Marjorie McLaughlin
RSCDS SD@aol.com
San Diego, CA

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8720 · ERBRUNKEN · 30 Aug 1997 07:12:59 · Top

In a message dated 97-08-29 07:04:18 EDT, Jim Healy writes........

<< Miss Milligan apparently obtained agreement from the Lord Lyon King
at Arms (who was probably creased with laughter that anybody
bothered to ask) that lady members of the RSCDS should wear it on
the left shoulder. This has become standard practice for Branch
dem teams.

IMO, ike all status symbols as opposed to traditions with a reason
this particular piece of snobbery should be gently laid to rest and
the ladies should wear the sash as they think best goes with the
rest of their ensemble.

<Harrumph!>

Jim Healy >>

Jim...I don't know you.... but I KNOW I'd like you!!!!!

Elaine

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8729 · Angus Henry · 31 Aug 1997 06:28:40 · Top

>Jennifer Sawin <Jennifer_Sawin@pcmailgw.ml.com> writes:
>
> How's about this for an idea: All the ladies wear gowns that are cut
> off one shoulder, thus neatly leaving only one option? (Please, to
> avoid me coming up with additional private gory details on new topics,
> do not, repeat, do NOT start the discussion about where to pin the
> sash when the gown is actually strapless...)

While not a devotee myself, I have heard that body piercing is quite
fashionable these days.

Angus

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Angus & Puka Henry:- 4 Eagle Court, WULAGI, NT 0812, AUSTRALIA
PHONE: (International) + 61 8 8927 9203 (Australia) (08) 8927 9203
FAX: as phone; (but phone first for contact)
E-mail: ahenry@taunet.net.au

Ladies' Sashes

Message 8735 · Mcgarrity · 1 Sep 1997 00:08:24 · Top

I know we should lay ladies' sashes to rest, but....
Does anyone in the San Francisco branch still have the
Reel & Strathspeyper from the late 70's in which the editor
(moi) wrote an article about the left-right question? About
a month later, I received a letter from Miss Gibson (yes, THE
Miss Gibson) which began something like:

Dear Miss McGarrity,
I read with interest your article concerning ladies' sashes.
We in the RSCDS need be in no doubt, as Dr. Milligan has...
[laid down the law]... etc.

When I received the letter, I didn't know quite what to do with it,
so just printed the whole letter in the following issue, without
commentary -- might be fun for everyone to read it, if anyone
can find it. And then, of course, we "need be in no doubt" once
again... :-)

Kim McGarrity
Palo Alto, CA USA
mcgarrity@aol.com