strathspey Archive: Drumelzier

Drumelzier

Message 8383 · Freeman/Pavey · 31 Jul 1997 17:56:50 · Top

Hi!

Can anyone advise me as to where I can obtain sheet music for
Drumelzier, the tune for the dance of the same name? [Drumelzier
(Blair) 4x32 bar strathspey]. I'm afraid I don't know what "Blair" is
either.

Cole

Cole Pavey
RR3
Mabely, Ontario, Canada K0H 2B0

tay@rideau.net

Drumelzier

Message 8396 · McBride, Ann · 31 Jul 1997 23:28:43 · Top

Hi! I do have a copy of the notes and music for Drumelzier at home
(my computer is in my office -) -- No doubt you will a million replies
- but should you want me to mail (fax) you a copy of the sheet music, I
will be happy to. The "Blair" is Jimmie Blair and I believe the music
was recorded on his "Highland Dance Party" record, but has also been
recorded by the Tain SCD Band.

Ann McBride

>----------

Drumelzier

Message 8401 · Valerie L. Hill · 1 Aug 1997 02:31:19 · Top

The sheet music for Drumelzier comes with the leaflet, available from
TAC: "Hogmanay Jig/Drumelzier" , Two SCD's, devised by Christopher
Blair, music by Andrew Rankine.

Hope this helps,

Valerie L. Hill
Frederick, MD

Drumelzier

Message 8402 · Peter M. Price · 1 Aug 1997 03:22:10 · Top

Drumelzier and Hogmanay Jig are from a leaflet from the Newcastle and District
Branch of the RSCDS published in 1967. Dances composed by Christopher Blair
music (of the same name as the dance), composed by Andrew Rankine.

Try TACBOOKS.
c/o John and Shirley Lanktree
550 Dickinson Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario
K1V 7J4

Peter Price
New Haven, CT
103500.1357@CompuServe.com
The dancers are formed in two long ranks, facing each other, and the battle
opens with some light skirmishing between the pickets, which is gradually
resolved into a general engagement along the whole line; after that you have
nothing to do but stand by and grab every lady that drifts within reach of you,
and swing her. It is very entertaining, and elaborately scientific also.
Samuel Clemens, 1862

Drumelzier

Message 8409 · colin garrett · 1 Aug 1997 12:35:11 · Top

The dance and music were published in 1967 by the Newcastle & District
Branch of the RSCDS (Price 2/6d). The music was composed by Andrew
Rankine.

I doubt that I can e-mail it: but if you have access to a fax....

Colin Garrett

Drumelzier

Message 8411 · Freeman/Pavey · 1 Aug 1997 17:27:09 · Top

> The dance and music were published in 1967 by the Newcastle & District
> Branch of the RSCDS (Price 2/6d). The music was composed by Andrew
> Rankine.
>
> I doubt that I can e-mail it: but if you have access to a fax....
>
>Great! My fax number is 613-273-4204. Thank you very much.

Cole

Drumelzier

Message 8412 · Freeman/Pavey · 1 Aug 1997 17:27:25 · Top

> Drumelzier and Hogmanay Jig are from a leaflet from the Newcastle and District
> Branch of the RSCDS published in 1967. Dances composed by Christopher Blair
> music (of the same name as the dance), composed by Andrew Rankine.
>
> Try TACBOOKS.

Thank you. A number of people told me the source of the tune, but I was
unaware it was available from TAC. I have the TACBOOKS catalogue and I
glanced through it but, since all I knew was the name Blair, I did not
get too far. Have now found it under H in the Selected Leaflets.

Is the following quotation you sent a description SCD in general or of a
specific dance?

Cole

> The dancers are formed in two long ranks, facing each other, and the battle
> opens with some light skirmishing between the pickets, which is gradually
> resolved into a general engagement along the whole line; after that you have
> nothing to do but stand by and grab every lady that drifts within reach of you,
> and swing her. It is very entertaining, and elaborately scientific also.
> Samuel Clemens, 1862
>
> --
> "Peter M. Price" <103500.1357@CompuServe.COM>

Drumelzier

Message 8413 · Freeman/Pavey · 1 Aug 1997 17:27:49 · Top

> The sheet music for Drumelzier comes with the leaflet, available from
> TAC: "Hogmanay Jig/Drumelzier" , Two SCD's, devised by Christopher
> Blair, music by Andrew Rankine.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
>Yes, it does. Have found it in the catalogue. I looked for Drumelzier before in that list of Selected Leaflets and did not, of course, find it.

Thanks

Cole

Drumelzier

Message 8414 · Freeman/Pavey · 1 Aug 1997 18:02:31 · Top

Sorry, guys. I inadvertently sent a couple of individual replies via the
List.
Cole

Drumelzier

Message 8441 · Peter M. Price · 3 Aug 1997 22:11:41 · Top

The quote is from _The Territoriial Enterprise_ Virginaia City, Nevada c.1862. I
believe this to be a newspaper and describes a social, It, unfor- tunately, has
nothing to do with Scottish dance but it does sound good.

>>The dancers are formed in two long ranks, facing each other, and the battle
opens with some light skirmishing between the pickets, which is gradually
resolved into a general engagement along the whole line; after that you have
nothing to do but stand by and grab every lady that drifts within reach of you,
and swing her. It is very entertaining, and elaborately scientific also.
Samuel Clemens, 1862

Peter Price
New Haven, Ct
103500.1357@CompuServe.com
Men sometimes need little reminders. Many's a time when I tied a string around a
man's finger to help him remember his way home, and every now and then a loaded
pistol does wonders to restore a man's memory of good manners toward women.
Louise Ballcot

Drumelzier

Message 8496 · Alan Paterson · 11 Aug 1997 11:03:29 · Top

Oh dear! My information regarding Drumelzier (note how I have avoided
computer-ese such as database :-) tells me that "Blair" as devisor of this
dance is "Blair, Christopher" not (as Ann McBride has stated) "Blair, Jimmy".

No idea where this came from on my side, but I am open for correction. So who
can say for certain what is correct?

Alan

Drumelzier

Message 8504 · Andrew Patterson · 12 Aug 1997 00:32:12 · Top

Hi Alan

Definitely Christopher Blair. Drumelzier and Hogmanay Jig were
published by the Newcastle Branch way back in 1967. Andrew Rankine
wrote the name tunes for them.

PS Pleased to meet you up at St. Andrews, if only for an hour or so,
and see a demo of your database.

Andy London(UK)