strathspey Archive: Mrs Hepburn Belches

Mrs Hepburn Belches

Message 8283 · Martin.Sheffield · 22 Jul 1997 15:03:10 · Top

William wrote:

>P.S. It all goes to show you shouldn't choose dances for a program
>just for their tune!!

So now I know why Mrs HB appeared on one of the recent CDs !

It surprised me, as I cannot recall the dance ever turning up on a program,
though i remember the tune from way back on a 45 rpm by Jimmy Blair. We
used to use it in my energetic youth-- twice through, it was just long
enough for an Irish 8-hand reel.

Yours,
Martin,
Grenoble, France.
------------ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/ --------

Mrs Hepburn Belches

Message 8284 · Anselm Lingnau · 22 Jul 1997 15:32:16 · Top

martin.sheffield@wanadoo.fr (M Sheffield) writes:

> So now I know why Mrs HB appeared on one of the recent CDs !

I think I will mention this if nobody else does:

Mrs H. B. is also the lead tune for a nice little dance by Priscilla
Burrage called Mrs Watt's Teakettle (in her Kitchen Capers book). If you
don't have the Tartan Stew tape that goes with the book, the recording
on the CD (Neil Barron, I think) will do -- even though the Tartan Stew
version, IMHO, is a much nicer arrangement (Thumbs up, Sylvia).

Why is it that nowadays most of the really good SCD music seems to come
from the USA?

Anselm
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts. --- Anon.

Mrs Hepburn Belches

Message 8336 · Bryan McAlister · 29 Jul 1997 21:41:26 · Top

Anselm asks why most of the nicest SCD comes from the States

I havn't listened to any of the SCD recordings that come from that part
of the world ( though I was looking at those listed in the Fiddler's
Crossing Catalogue only last night)

Having visited the Valley of the Moon Fiddle and Dance School I am not
at all surprised to hear Anselm voicing that opinion.

The quality of musicianship and interest in the Sates takes one aback,
even such things as the ability to play tunes in sessions and the "old
timey" feel to some of the playing is very attractive.

Scotlands good Ceilidh and Folk bands can equal this (and better it) but
our Country Dance Bands are frankly nowhere IMHO

In article <5159.869571056@canopus.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>,
Anselm Lingnau <lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de> writes

--

Bryan McAlister B. Arch RIBA ARIAS MaPS

You are cordially invited to visit my/our web page at
___
http://www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk /___\
IIIII_____IIIIII___________under construction
============================= but growing

Mrs Hepburn Belches

Message 8340 · Thomas G. Mungall III · 30 Jul 1997 00:21:25 · Top

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Bryan McAlister wrote:

> Anselm asks why most of the nicest SCD comes from the States
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> The quality of musicianship and interest in the Sates takes one aback,
> even such things as the ability to play tunes in sessions and the "old
> timey" feel to some of the playing is very attractive.

Bryan, I think it very well may be the "interest" from which the "quality"
of the American-Scottish SCD music comes. Maybe the "interest" in Scotland
is more in the Ceilidh/Folk music? These bands must be making more money
in the folk music area than they ever could as SCD bands.

Cheers!

Tom Mungall

Mrs Hepburn Belches

Message 8405 · Bryan McAlister · 1 Aug 1997 08:21:30 · Top

In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.970729151211.8544D-100000@alex>, Atheling
Ironsides <atheling@intersurf.com> writes

>On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Bryan McAlister wrote:
>
>> Anselm asks why most of the nicest SCD comes from the States
><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> The quality of musicianship and interest in the Sates takes one aback,
>> even such things as the ability to play tunes in sessions and the "old
>> timey" feel to some of the playing is very attractive.
>
>Bryan, I think it very well may be the "interest" from which the "quality"
>of the American-Scottish SCD music comes. Maybe the "interest" in Scotland
>is more in the Ceilidh/Folk music? These bands must be making more money
>in the folk music area than they ever could as SCD bands.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Tom Mungall

I wouldnt disagree, the money in SCD in Scotland is substantially lower
than is available from SCD. I dont think however that is why most people
choose to play ceilidh.

I have an official letter pinned up in my toilet which I got from RSCD
Headquarters in reply to my enquiry about a musicians course.
I had written asking if there were any courses coming up in the
Edinburgh area and advcising that I played fiddle.

The reply stated that there was a course but this was for pianists and
accordianists, if I was proficient in either I was welcome to attend.
I concluded that the RSCDS was in the business of teaching accordian and
piano and not about playing for dance. Actually I meant to write an
outraged letter at the time but in the end just felt too tired. >
>--
>Atheling Ironsides <atheling@intersurf.com>

--

Bryan McAlister B. Arch RIBA ARIAS MaPS

You are cordially invited to visit my/our web page at
___
http://www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk /___\
IIIII_____IIIIII___________under construction
============================= but growing

Mrs Hepburn Belches

Message 8285 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 22 Jul 1997 15:58:12 · Top

I have had the music on 33rpm since the late 1950's and the sheet music
since about the same time. It was very frustrating to try to interpret
those few lines of 18th century dance instructions and believe that
everyone else would come up with the same dance.

>From the mid-1960's until 1992 I tried to devise an alternative dance that
would fit the 48 bar music. (I think I have a folder of rejects thicker
than all the Drewry published leaflets.)

Finally I came up with one that had the dancers laughing and clapping.
It's 'Mrs. Watts Teakettle', in my book Kitchen Capers. Sylvia Miskoe has a
tape, Tartan Stew, that includes all the dances from the book. Her
band's rendition of Mrs HP will get you up and into a set for dancing
even if you were going to sit one out!

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, M Sheffield wrote:

> William wrote:
>
> >P.S. It all goes to show you shouldn't choose dances for a program
> >just for their tune!!
>
> So now I know why Mrs HB appeared on one of the recent CDs !
>
> It surprised me, as I cannot recall the dance ever turning up on a program,
> though i remember the tune from way back on a 45 rpm by Jimmy Blair. We
> used to use it in my energetic youth-- twice through, it was just long
> enough for an Irish 8-hand reel.
>
> Yours,
> Martin,
> Grenoble, France.