strathspey Archive: Ball in Bielefeld (fwd, mostly)

Ball in Bielefeld (fwd, mostly)

Message 7766 · Anselm Lingnau · 22 May 1997 23:25:27 · Top

Coletta Busse sent me the following in reply to a comment I made to her
(privately) about balls with no recaps in Germany. She thought that I
had originally posted to the list instead of to her personally. I'm
forwarding her message to the list at her request.

Anyway, to establish the context of her message, here's part of what I
originally sent to her:

> Give us a break, Coletta :^) You've been over here for long enough to
> know all about the availability of SCD musicians for evening
> functions, the age and depth of pockets of the average dancer etc. to
> forgive us for calling our dances `balls' even though we don't usually
> have live music and the dress code is somewhat relaxed ...
>
> As far as the grand march, no talk-throughs and buffet are concerned, you
> can show us all how it ought to be done in four weeks' time ...

Coletta's reply follows. And before you haste to your keyboards to add
your comments about whether a ball should have talk-throughs or not,
remember that, on that particular subject, there is about half a megabyte's
worth of discussion already in the list archives.

Finally, there is one thing the announcement leaves unsaid, presumably
for reasons of individual modesty rather than non-importance. It turns
out that the dancers' workshop alluded to in the final paragraph will be
taught by a very nice lady who is well-known in this forum. I'm not
telling you who she might be, but her first name begins with a `C'.

Anselm