strathspey Archive: Re[2]: Bees of Maggiknockater

Re[2]: Bees of Maggiknockater

Message 7732 · Jennifer_Sawin · 20 May 1997 01:01:27 · Top

Martin wrote: >>-- or old French "escamper" from late Latin "ex-campare":
to flee the field of battle. A tempting description for some performances
of the Bees.<<

Except that in a real battle, the slain and otherwise-fallen don't get to
flee, do they?

;)

Jenn Sawin

Re[2]: Bees of Maggiknockater

Message 7740 · Martin Sheffield · 20 May 1997 20:55:44 · Top

"scamper" from >>-- old French "escamper" from late Latin "ex-campare":
>to flee the field of battle. A tempting description for some performances
>of the Bees.<<

Jennifer replied:
>Except that in a real battle, the slain and otherwise-fallen don't get to
>flee, do they?

-- Do you fall over so often, Jenn?
Or merely get slain while you are dancing?

Yours,
Martin,
Grenoble, France.

Re[2]: Bees of Maggiknockater

Message 7744 · ERBRUNKEN · 21 May 1997 05:47:29 · Top

<< Martin wrote: >>-- or old French "escamper" from late Latin "ex-campare":
to flee the field of battle. A tempting description for some performances
of the Bees.<<

Except that in a real battle, the slain and otherwise-fallen don't get to
flee, do they?

And even if they try to quietly retreat....."the best laid plans o' mice and
men, gang aft aglie!"

My first experience with Bees, was as a last dance on an 'out of town'
programme. I had never done the dance, and as I read the cheat sheet decided
it would be a good one to ..."visit the bar"!! as the intro music
started...I left the hall. From the bar I heard the talk through etc and
wandered back into the hall to watch this unknown dance.

As I entered, I heard a cheer.... I looked around to see why they were
cheering. Well........of course they were one person short for a set for the
last dance. Panic took over as I heard the MC (who used to be a
friend....just kidding!) say "Elaine'll fill in the set!"

I was yanked into the set.... and the chord struck! I didn't even have time
to say "I have NO IDEA how to do this dance". It was not a pretty
sight!!!!!!! (Culloden....comes to mind!) Not too much blood....but bodies
everywhere! And since that fateful day, I have avoided Bees at all
costs.

It was a VERY humbling experience....

Elaine
Dale City, Va. USA