strathspey Archive: Scottish ?Dance? Names

Scottish ?Dance? Names

Message 7704 · Mackay, Donald · 14 May 1997 11:43:19 · Top

After the last fascinating diversion from Roaring Jelly to the No-bel prize
for Maths; can anyone help with names for housing developments? I think the
"Bees Of Maggieknockater" and "Birks Of Invermay" are probably a bit too
obscure?

Donald Mackay
Salisbury Scottish Dancers
Wiltshire, UK.

Donald.Mackay@mcl.co.uk

Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 13:50:27 -0700
From: ejluongo@swbell.net
To: "scottish-dance@ncl"@ac.uk
Subject: Help! Information regarding Scottish dance/culture

Hi there! I am not certain that you will be able to provide assistance
to me, but am willing to try. I am new to the Internet and am unaware
of an alternate resource for the information I am about to request.

I have a client who is a builder and is building some 'condominiums' in
the most afluent area of Dallas, Texas which is called "Highland Park".
He is looking for a name for his new development and has asked for my
assistance. He has been offered "The Villas of Highland Park" and
turned it down for an unknown reason. He is rather fond of "The Villas
at Hawthorn" (which is the name of the street it will be on). There is
unfortunately a hotel of questionable clientele bearing the Hawthorn
name.

My question is:

Can you provide me information about the Scottish or Country English
culture that would not only bestow honor on the development and the
culture for which the town was named, but would also provide
marketability to the discriminating clientele?

Scottish ?Dance? Names

Message 7707 · David Grubb · 14 May 1997 23:35:28 · Top

> After the last fascinating diversion from Roaring Jelly to the No-bel prize
> for Maths; can anyone help with names for housing developments? I think the
> "Bees Of Maggieknockater" and "Birks Of Invermay" are probably a bit too
> obscure?
>
> Donald Mackay
> Salisbury Scottish Dancers
> Wiltshire, UK.
>
> Donald.Mackay@mcl.co.uk

> I have a client who is a builder and is building some 'condominiums' in
> the most afluent area of Dallas, Texas which is called "Highland Park".
> He is looking for a name for his new development and has asked for my
> assistance. He has been offered "The Villas of Highland Park" and
> turned it down for an unknown reason. He is rather fond of "The Villas
> Can you provide me information about the Scottish or Country English
> culture that would not only bestow honor on the development and the
> culture for which the town was named, but would also provide
> marketability to the discriminating clientele?

I would immediately suggest "The Bottles of Highland Park"
or for the _more_ affluent "The Casks of Highland Park"
A fine part of Scottish culture since 1798 and the 12yr old malt
is certainly marketed to a discriminating clientele.
for the net-aware
it is described at http://www.orkneyislands.com/highlandpark/index.htm
The Dallas area inhabitants probably do not realize that their town was named
after a distillery by some forgotten,thirsty, exile!

But it sounds like the client is fixated on "The Villas of ..."
I suppose
"The Large Ugly Houses on Tiny Plots of Land of Highland Park"
would not do
How about "The Villas of Pancho Villas" or would that also
strike the wrong note?

To get back on topic ( a little ) a member of our group recently moved to
Austin, Texas, and was relegated to a lower-level dance class there because of
his poor Allemande. Our next Ithaca Scottish Dance Group T-shirt
will have the motto:

"Remember the Allemande!"

and we now have a fine new demonstration strathspey called "Farewell to Austin"
containing interlocking Allemandes to keep everyone on their toes.... details
available on request.

David Grubb
dtg1@cornell.edu
Ithaca NY