strathspey Archive: Baden Powell (was Remote Dance)

Baden Powell (was Remote Dance)

Message 7581 · Stefan Barthel · 5 May 1997 12:48:12 · Top

"D.W.Leifer" <dwl3@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
>Professor Blackley composed a number of Circle Dances one of which is
>called "The Baden-Powell Schottische" this dance was supposed to have
>been recognized by the BATD (British Association of Teachers of Dance)
>and was given a special award.
>
>Is anyone familiar with this dance? I would like to find the notes
>on it if they are available.

Elizabeth Miller answered later in the thread:
>Hi, as an old Girl Guide I must clarify, Robert Baden Powell started the
>Boy Scouts in Britain!

Yes, and there is a dance called "The Baden Powell", named after him. I
don't know the dance, but it seems to be a ceilidh dance popular in the
north west of scotland, if I remember correctly. You can find
instructions in the booklet "Footnotes" (my source of knowledge in this
case) and maybe music for it on the CD "Footnotes" of the band "The
Occasionels". That's all I know. No paper music in that booklet, sorry. I
hope this helps a little for further research.

Stefan

Baden Powell (was Remote Dance)

Message 7596 · Stella Fogg · 6 May 1997 16:10:32 · Top

Stefan Barthel wrote:

> >"The Baden-Powell Schottische"
> >

> You can find
> instructions in the booklet "Footnotes"
>
> Stefan, I have the booklet "Footnotes" by the Occasionals but nowhere do I find reference to the Baden Powell Schottische. Will see if I can find instructions for the dance when I am home in Scotland in August.
Stella

Baden Powell (was Remote Dance)

Message 7599 · Stefan Barthel · 6 May 1997 17:05:11 · Top

Originally Dave W. Leifer asked for the dance Baden Powell Schottische.

I answered :

Stella Fogg wrote:
>> Stefan, I have the booklet "Footnotes" by the Occasionals but nowhere do I
>find reference to the Baden Powell Schottische. Will see if I can find
>instructions for the dance when I am home in Scotland in August.
>Stella

Sorry, I was wrong. I did not have the booklet at work, but checked it at
home, too. But I remember me reading about different Ceilidh dances last
week, a dance named "The Baden Powell" was one of them and "Footnotes"
was just one of my sources.

But there is another booklet and CD made by the Occasionals, called "Back
in Step".
And now I believe, I found it on that CD which I bought some days ago.
But not for granted: I used the CD at class (we often finish with some
Ceilidh dances such as a Waltz and a Two Step or Schottische) and then I
lent it to another dancer, who wanted to listen to it at home, so I can't
check it now, sorry. I don't own the booklet, but I ordered it last week
(address: Bonskeid Music, 4 The Steils, Edinburgh EH10 5XD).

Maybe I can give you more informations in a few days, when I receive the
booklet. The CD's and booklets are quite nice for Ceilidh Dancing, but
not useful for Country Dancing, if someone is interested in this.

Stefan Barthel email: sb@impuls.de
Spardorfer Strasse 40a
D-91054 Erlangen ++49 / 9131 / 20 66 11 (p.)
++49 / 911 / 688 667 71 (d.)

http://nuernberg.netsurf.de/User/barthel/index.html

Baden Powell (was Remote Dance)

Message 7601 · Anselm Lingnau · 6 May 1997 17:33:44 · Top

Stefan Barthel <bast@nuernberg.netsurf.de> writes about the Occasionals
CDs and booklets:

> The CD's and booklets are quite nice for Ceilidh Dancing, but
> not useful for Country Dancing, if someone is interested in this.

Oh, I wouldn't go quite as far as that. I have only the first CD but I
use the music, e.g., for warm-ups. Also, the Waltz Country Dance is
really quite reasonable (and it's a country dance, too), and there are a
couple of sets of jigs and reels which are maybe a bit on the fast side.
In a pinch, we always have speed control (I copy all my CDs on tapes for
class) ...

Anselm
If you believe everything you read, better don't read. --- Japanese proverb