strathspey Archive: ?Romance in Ireland - Author, Instructions, Music

?Romance in Ireland - Author, Instructions, Music

Message 7577 · DMGilliam · 3 May 1997 21:04:58 · Top

Can anyone tell me more about "Romance in Ireland?"

1. Who devised this dance?

2. Is any special music recommended and/or recorded for it?

3. Are the instructions available electronically or in print?

I learned this dance when I attended the very nice class of Le Charden
d'Ecosse in Paris. I want to teach the dance in the US, and I wrote down the
instructions as best I could remember them. However, I always like to check
original instructions if possible, rather than trusting my memory, before
teaching a new dance.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regard,

David Gilliam
19824 Meredith Dr.
Derwood, MD 20855
USA

?Romance in Ireland - Author, Instructions, Music

Message 7580 · Stefan Barthel · 5 May 1997 12:27:06 · Top

David Gilliam wrote:

>Can anyone tell me more about "Romance in Ireland?"
>
>1. Who devised this dance?
>
>2. Is any special music recommended and/or recorded for it?
>
>3. Are the instructions available electronically or in print?
>
>I learned this dance when I attended the very nice class of Le Charden
>d'Ecosse in Paris. I want to teach the dance in the US, and I wrote down the
>instructions as best I could remember them. However, I always like to check
>original instructions if possible, rather than trusting my memory, before
>teaching a new dance.

1. I devised "Romance in Ireland" last year for the wedding of Stefan and
Rita Balzus, two of our fellow dancers, who first met on holidays in
Ireland. (He is German, she is Hungarian, so we attended the wedding in
Budapest, and sure we did some Scottish dancing there... so this dance
was developed in really international circumstances.) We have had this
dance on our annual ball program last september here in Erlangen, and
Patrick Chamoin brougth it to Paris. Funny to see it travelling on...

2. There is no special music recommended by me, you may take "any good
strathspey". But I prefer nice, flowing strathspey melodies for this
dance, not the "strong" ones. My favourite is one special music on the CD
of "The Music Makers", but I don't have the name of it at hand. The dance
should be danced in flowing movements, and the music should be like that.
Take your choice.

3. The instructions are available on the web at:
http://nuernberg.netsurf.de/User/barthel/scds.html, but not in print. If
you need printed instructions, please ask me privately and I'll send you
a copy.

Greetings!

Stefan Barthel email: sb@impuls.de
Spardorfer Strasse 40a
D-91054 Erlangen ++49 / 9131 / 20 66 11 (p.)
++49 / 911 / 688 667 71 (d.)

http://nuernberg.netsurf.de/User/barthel/index.html