strathspey Archive: Linnea's Strathspey

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63234 · Duncan Brown · 17 Oct 2012 01:36:42 · Top

Hi All,

I've just today received a copy of the Dunsmuir Dances book which contains
Linnea's Strathspey. Having seen some performances of it on youtube, it
looks a cracker of dance, that I'm determined to make popular in my corner
of south west England! However, I have a question of where 1st couple
finish bar 14 (and which way they should be facing).

Bars 9-14 are Hello Goodbye setting (set to corners and partner to give it
its proper title). On bars 15-16 the 1st couple pass right shoulders to
face out in 2nd place.

On the youtube videos it seemed common to finish bar 14 facing 2nd corner
(i.e. do both setting steps to 2nd corner), and then essentially do cast
around partner to face out. However, it is of course equally possible to
finish bar 14 facing up and down and then just dance round partner.

Any help, gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan

Chudleigh

Devon

UK

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63235 · Timothy Wilson · 17 Oct 2012 01:52:02 · Top

Dear Duncan Brown,

Thanks for your message and the request for more detailed information.

At the risk of inhibiting personal expression on the dance floor :-) my preference is for
1st couple to finish bar 14 facing man down, lady up, ready to dance around partner
passing right shoulder. It allows for a very nice sweep to prepare 1st couple to cast
round clockwise. Linnea preferred the right shoulder pass over the more standard
petronella turn.

I hope you and your class enjoy the dance. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Tim Wilson
San Francisco, CA

> From: duncanqlnbrown@btinternet.com
> To: strathspey@strathspey.org
> Subject: Linnea's Strathspey
> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:36:36 +0100
>
> Hi All,
>

> I've just today received a copy of the Dunsmuir Dances book which contains
> Linnea's Strathspey. Having seen some performances of it on youtube, it
> looks a cracker of dance, that I'm determined to make popular in my corner
> of south west England! However, I have a question of where 1st couple
> finish bar 14 (and which way they should be facing).
>

> Bars 9-14 are Hello Goodbye setting (set to corners and partner to give it
> its proper title). On bars 15-16 the 1st couple pass right shoulders to
> face out in 2nd place.
>

> On the youtube videos it seemed common to finish bar 14 facing 2nd corner
> (i.e. do both setting steps to 2nd corner), and then essentially do cast
> around partner to face out. However, it is of course equally possible to
> finish bar 14 facing up and down and then just dance round partner.
>

> Any help, gratefully received.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Duncan
>

> Chudleigh
>
> Devon
>
> UK

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63236 · Paula · 17 Oct 2012 01:52:24 · Top

Hi Duncan,

On bar 14 the first couple is facing up and down.

Paula
SF Branch
US

On 10/16/2012 2:36 PM, Duncan Brown wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I've just today received a copy of the Dunsmuir Dances book which contains
> Linnea's Strathspey. Having seen some performances of it on youtube, it
> looks a cracker of dance, that I'm determined to make popular in my corner
> of south west England! However, I have a question of where 1st couple
> finish bar 14 (and which way they should be facing).
>

> Bars 9-14 are Hello Goodbye setting (set to corners and partner to give it
> its proper title). On bars 15-16 the 1st couple pass right shoulders to
> face out in 2nd place.
>

> On the youtube videos it seemed common to finish bar 14 facing 2nd corner
> (i.e. do both setting steps to 2nd corner), and then essentially do cast
> around partner to face out. However, it is of course equally possible to
> finish bar 14 facing up and down and then just dance round partner.
>

> Any help, gratefully received.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Duncan
>

> Chudleigh
>
> Devon
>
> UK

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63238 · arthur mclean · 17 Oct 2012 02:13:27 · Top

We dance this one in Austin TX, and it is one of our favourites.
The HGB setting is normal up to bar 14; ie the 1s face each other up and down the set. Then instead of doing a petronella turn back to their own side and facing in, the 1s pass each other RIGHT shoulder, curve right to face OUT in 2nd place own side(bars 15-16) ready for the cast right and promenade. Does that make sense now?
Cheers,
Arthur

> I've just today received a copy of the Dunsmuir Dances book
> which contains
> Linnea's Strathspey.  Having seen some performances of
> it on youtube, it
> looks a cracker of dance, that I'm determined to make
> popular in my corner
> of south west England!  However, I have a question of
> where 1st couple
> finish bar 14 (and which way they should be facing).
>

> Bars 9-14 are Hello Goodbye setting (set to corners and
> partner to give it
> its proper title).  On bars 15-16 the 1st couple pass
> right shoulders to
> face out in 2nd place.
>

> On the youtube videos it seemed common to finish bar 14
> facing 2nd corner
> (i.e. do both setting steps to 2nd corner), and then
> essentially do cast
> around partner to face out.  However, it is of course
> equally possible to
> finish bar 14 facing up and down and then just dance round
> partner.
>

> Any help, gratefully received.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Duncan
>

> Chudleigh
>
> Devon
>
> UK

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63239 · Rebecca Sager · 17 Oct 2012 02:29:19 · Top

We do the dance in Atlanta and agree with all those who say 1C are facing up and down after bar 14,

Becky
Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Vivian Greene

We dance this one in Austin TX, and it is one of our favourites.
The HGB setting is normal up to bar 14; ie the 1s face each other up and down the set. Then instead of doing a petronella turn back to their own side and facing in, the 1s pass each other RIGHT shoulder, curve right to face OUT in 2nd place own side(bars 15-16) ready for the cast right and promenade. Does that make sense now?
Cheers,
Arthur

> I've just today received a copy of the Dunsmuir Dances book
> which contains
> Linnea's Strathspey.&#65533; Having seen some performances of
> it on youtube, it
> looks a cracker of dance, that I'm determined to make
> popular in my corner
> of south west England!&#65533; However, I have a question of
> where 1st couple
> finish bar 14 (and which way they should be facing).
>

> Bars 9-14 are Hello Goodbye setting (set to corners and
> partner to give it
> its proper title).&#65533; On bars 15-16 the 1st couple pass
> right shoulders to
> face out in 2nd place.
>

> On the youtube videos it seemed common to finish bar 14
> facing 2nd corner
> (i.e. do both setting steps to 2nd corner), and then
> essentially do cast
> around partner to face out.&#65533; However, it is of course
> equally possible to
> finish bar 14 facing up and down and then just dance round
> partner.
>

> Any help, gratefully received.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Duncan
>

> Chudleigh
>
> Devon
>
> UK

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63263 · Mike Briggs · 1 Nov 2012 14:11:53 · Top

Does anyone what the preferred lead tune is for Linnea's Strathspey?

Mike Briggs

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (o)
+1 608 770 2304 (m)
+1 608 237 2379 (f)

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63264 · Steve Wyrick · 1 Nov 2012 16:34:49 · Top

Tim's on the list, so he'll probably respond himself but I think he was
happy with Earl Grey when we used it. There may be a previous discussion
on this in the archives -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Linnea's Strathspey

Message 63265 · Mike Briggs · 1 Nov 2012 17:28:59 · Top

OK, Earl Grey it'll be. Time for tea. Thanks.

Mike

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (o)