strathspey Archive: Lord of the Dance

Lord of the Dance

Message 6320 · Tony Graham · 21 Jan 1997 22:59:58 · Top

J M ROSSMAN writes:
> In March, Michael Flatley brings his Lord of the Dance to
> Radio City for a week. And on February 11, the video of Lord of the
> Dance will be available and, like Riverdance, it, too, was taped at
> the Point Theatre in Dublin. It will be interesting to be able to
> compare and contrast the two shows in terms of virtuosity, glitter,
> and excitement. I`ll be seeing Lord of the Dance in March. If anyone
> else out there should see it, it`ll be interesting to see what kind
> of discussion it engenders.

I have seen the video of Lord of the Dance, and it was the opinion of
the four of us watching it that was better than Riverdance. It has
more of a story (West Side Story springs to mind). The only downsides
are the overuse of slow motion shots of dancers floating through the
air and Michael Flatley's repeated mistaken impression that all of the
audience's applause was directed at him.

Regards,

Tony Graham

Lord of the Dance

Message 6322 · Jennifer_Sawin · 21 Jan 1997 23:55:15 · Top

Tony wrote: >>It has more of a story (West Side Story springs to mind).
The only downsides are the overuse of slow motion shots of dancers floating
through the air and Michael Flatley's repeated mistaken impression that all
of the audience's applause was directed at him.<<

One of the frustrations several of us had with the (original) Riverdance
video was that there were times when the camera went in for these close
shots of Flatley's face and we all (crammed several layers deep in Kate
Nealley's den) sat there pleading "no, no - we want the feet, the feet!"
Does that happen with either (a) the new Riverdance video or (b) Lord of
the Dance (what IS the storyline, anyway, Tony?)

Jenn Sawin