strathspey Archive: Marie Boehmer dances

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62773 · Peter Price · 15 Jun 2012 05:22:47 · Top

A friend recently enquired if I knew any of Marie Boehmer's dances.
I know only one and taught it once so long ago that I don't remember it's name.
I know too that she published 23 books of dances.

Does she have any dances worth doing more than once? Any
recommendations for or against?
Should I buy any of her books? Are there any really good dances?

Peter Price
New Jersey

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
number of moments that take our breath away.

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62774 · Iain Boyd · 15 Jun 2012 11:06:11 · Top

Dear Peter,

Buy the books and find out for yourself !!!!!

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

________________________________
A friend recently enquired if I knew any of Marie Boehmer's dances.
I know only one and taught it once so long  ago that I don't remember it's name.
I know too that she published 23 books of dances.

Does she have any dances worth doing more than once? Any
recommendations for or against?
Should I buy any of her books? Are there any really good dances?

Peter Price
New Jersey

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
number of moments that take our breath away.

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62775 · Chris Ronald · 15 Jun 2012 11:26:25 · Top

Oh really, Iain!

Even if the topic is not exactly about making "mistakes", I cannot help
thinking of what Bismarck is supposed to have said:

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the
mistakes of others."

Chris, New York.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Iain Boyd <iain_boyd_scd@yahoo.co.nz>wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Buy the books and find out for yourself !!!!!

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62776 · Iain Boyd · 15 Jun 2012 11:55:40 · Top

Dear Chris,

I get a little tired of dancers and teachers trying to get something for nothing.

I admit that there are now so many books of dances available, but, a small investment every now and then over a period of time will ensure that even the meanest will end up with a sizable collection.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

________________________________
Even if the topic is not exactly about making "mistakes", I cannot help
thinking of what Bismarck is supposed to have said:

"Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the
mistakes of others."

Chris, New York.

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Iain Boyd <iain_boyd_scd@yahoo.co.nz>wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Buy the books and find out for yourself !!!!!

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62777 · Anselm Lingnau · 15 Jun 2012 12:44:07 · Top

Iain Boyd wrote:

> I admit that there are now so many books of dances available, but, a small
> investment every now and then over a period of time will ensure that even
> the meanest will end up with a sizable collection.

I don't think Peter objects to the idea of buying dance books. It seems to be
more a matter of exactly which dance books to get. I think most people would
rather spend their money on things that are actually worthwhile, so it is a
legitimate question to ask whether any of Marie Boehmer's books are worth
getting. After all, there are so many of them that buying them all on the off-
chance would presumably be a sizable investment! On the other hand, perhaps
this is exactly what one might want to do. There's no telling beforehand.

We have moved from a situation where there was only a small repertoire of
dances to one where there are more dances than anyone could ever reasonably
dance in a lifetime – there are now more than 14,000 dances in our database,
and if you go through 6 dances on a weekly dance night, then assuming your
group dances 40 weeks a year these would last you nearly 60 years with no
repetitions.

So the main problem of SCD dance selection in the 21st century is not finding
new dances to try, but finding which of the dances out there are worth trying
(this is often called »drinking from the firehose«). Until we get better tools
along the lines of what Amazon does (»People who liked this dance/book/CD also
liked …«) we will probably have to make do with word-of-mouth.

Having said that, if anybody would like to contribute a review of anything
SCD-related I'd be happy to post that on the Strathspey Server. I'd like much
more original content! Incidentally, I just received a complimentary copy of
the new Reel of Seven CD (thanks Andy!), which I'm listening to now and which
I can't wait to use in my class.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62778 · Pia Walker · 15 Jun 2012 12:57:42 · Top

And send any reviews to Dance On! too (which is horrible late, due to me having been ill and a family bereavement - but bear with me).

Although most people who publish books of dances presumably would like their costs covered by selling said books, sharing dances should not be looked up as something criminal! - presumably if you have devised a dance, you would want people to dance it!

Pia

> I admit that there are now so many books of dances available, but, a
> small investment every now and then over a period of time will ensure
> that even the meanest will end up with a sizable collection.

I don't think Peter objects to the idea of buying dance books. It seems to be more a matter of exactly which dance books to get. I think most people would rather spend their money on things that are actually worthwhile, so it is a legitimate question to ask whether any of Marie Boehmer's books are worth getting. After all, there are so many of them that buying them all on the off- chance would presumably be a sizable investment! On the other hand, perhaps this is exactly what one might want to do. There's no telling beforehand.

We have moved from a situation where there was only a small repertoire of dances to one where there are more dances than anyone could ever reasonably dance in a lifetime there are now more than 14,000 dances in our database, and if you go through 6 dances on a weekly dance night, then assuming your group dances 40 weeks a year these would last you nearly 60 years with no repetitions.

So the main problem of SCD dance selection in the 21st century is not finding new dances to try, but finding which of the dances out there are worth trying (this is often called drinking from the firehose). Until we get better tools along the lines of what Amazon does (People who liked this dance/book/CD also liked ) we will probably have to make do with word-of-mouth.

Having said that, if anybody would like to contribute a review of anything SCD-related I'd be happy to post that on the Strathspey Server. I'd like much more original content! Incidentally, I just received a complimentary copy of the new Reel of Seven CD (thanks Andy!), which I'm listening to now and which I can't wait to use in my class.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made
one. -- James G. Bennet

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62782 · Steve Wyrick · 15 Jun 2012 17:00:58 · Top

Anselm, have you considered adding a "user reviews" section to Dance Data?
I have no idea if this is practical or if others would find it useful;
just a thought...

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62783 · Anselm Lingnau · 15 Jun 2012 17:18:41 · Top

Steve Wyrick wrote:

> Anselm, have you considered adding a "user reviews" section to Dance Data?

This is definitely on the to-do list. There are a few other items in front of
it, though.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
[I]n reality if a person's colon has 20+ lbs of impacted fecal matter that

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62779 · Peter Price · 15 Jun 2012 14:43:16 · Top

Iain,

Small investment? I have purchased over 220 books/3,500 dances. Buying
another 35 books/ 450 dances to cull 7 good ones is too expensive in
time as well as money. Rethink your knee jerk reaction please.

I have been teaching SCD for thirty plus years and I have not heard
one rave about her dances, seen one on a ball or a workshop. In saying
that I get the sense I should avoid her dances. But I could be wrong
and someone's expert opinion could change my mind.

So I ask again - Do you have an opinion on the quality of her work? Is
she any good or just a local flash in the pan?

Peter Price

On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:55 AM, Iain Boyd <iain_boyd_scd@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
> I get a little tired of dancers and teachers trying to get something for nothing.
>
> I admit that there are now so many books of dances available, but, a small investment every now and then over a period of time will ensure that even the meanest will end up with a sizable collection.
>
> Regards,
>

> Iain Boyd
>

> Postal Address -
>
> P O Box 11-404
> Wellington 6142
> New Zealand
>

> ________________________________

Message 62780 · sylviasmiskoe@aol.com · 15 Jun 2012 14:50:27 · Top

Enlighten me about Marie Boehmer.

Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

From: sylviasmiskoe@aol.com
Date: 6/15/2012 5:50:42 AM
To: strathspey@strathspey.org

nz>wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Buy the books and find out for yourself !!!!!

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62785 · Rosemary Coupe · 15 Jun 2012 20:11:32 · Top

About twenty years ago the strathspey "Dance with Your Soul" from the Cameo Collection V was popular in Vancouver. Probably it was introduced at a workshop (perhaps by Bob Blackie?). We enjoyed this dance. It has a mirror-image rondel with the 1s and 4s dancing under the arches made by the 2s and 3s respectively. The progression is a bit tricky, though.

I have two of Boehmer's books. They are nicely produced, with a solid cover. Good for Marjorie for having, and keeping, them all!

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver

nz>wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Buy the books and find out for yourself !!!!!

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62786 · simon scott · 15 Jun 2012 20:26:36 · Top

From a quick glance on my shelf I have eight of Marie's book, all of which, I think, she gave to me, probably one each time she attended a workshop I taught.

Rosemary has already mentioned "Dance with Your Soul", a good one, which I have taught and used on programs.

Simon
Vancouver

On 2012-06-15, at 11:11 AM, Rosemary Coupe wrote:

> About twenty years ago the strathspey "Dance with Your Soul" from the Cameo Collection V was popular in Vancouver. Probably it was introduced at a workshop (perhaps by Bob Blackie?). We enjoyed this dance. It has a mirror-image rondel with the 1s and 4s dancing under the arches made by the 2s and 3s respectively. The progression is a bit tricky, though.
>
> I have two of Boehmer's books. They are nicely produced, with a solid cover. Good for Marjorie for having, and keeping, them all!
>
> Rosemary Coupe
> Vancouver

Message 62788 · Heiko Schmidt · 15 Jun 2012 23:38:23 · Top

Dear Peter,

two dances of Marie Boehmer are (re)published in "To Be A Wind", the Silver Jubilee Book of the Tokyo Scottish Bluebell Club. If you have this book by chance you can have a look a them.

The dances are called:

- The Bluebell Reel (32 bar Reel for 3 cpls in a 4 cpl longwise set)
- Kindred Spirits (32 bar Reel for 4 cpls in a 4 cpl longwise set)

Best wishes,
Heiko

On Jun 15, 2012, at 20:26 , Simon SCOTT wrote:

> From a quick glance on my shelf I have eight of Marie's book, all of which, I think, she gave to me, probably one each time she attended a workshop I taught.
>
> Rosemary has already mentioned "Dance with Your Soul", a good one, which I have taught and used on programs.
>
> Simon
> Vancouver
>

> On 2012-06-15, at 11:11 AM, Rosemary Coupe wrote:
>
>> About twenty years ago the strathspey "Dance with Your Soul" from the Cameo Collection V was popular in Vancouver. Probably it was introduced at a workshop (perhaps by Bob Blackie?). We enjoyed this dance. It has a mirror-image rondel with the 1s and 4s dancing under the arches made by the 2s and 3s respectively. The progression is a bit tricky, though.
>>
>> I have two of Boehmer's books. They are nicely produced, with a solid cover. Good for Marjorie for having, and keeping, them all!
>>
>> Rosemary Coupe
>> Vancouver

Message 62781 · campbell · 15 Jun 2012 15:38:04 · Top

Peter wrote:
A friend recently enquired if I knew any of Marie Boehmer's dances.
Does she have any dances worth doing more than once? Any
recommendations for or against?

On my database of dances from programmes, I only have one dance attributed
to Marie Boehmer, and that is Granny Knot, which has been danced three
times, in Ayr and Troon. This on a database of 1648 dances to date. Of
course, it might be that some of her dances are on the database, but not
attributed to her. Unlikely though.

I guess you can draw your own conclusion. Certainly not a Roy Goldring, who
has 104 dances on the database.

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

Marie Boehmer dances

Message 62787 · Keith Rose · 15 Jun 2012 22:36:58 · Top

I found an obituary of Marie Boehmer at:
http://www.catch21.ca/Life/Lifetimes/article/690474

.

Keith Rose
Bedford, UK