strathspey Archive: dance terminology database

dance terminology database

Message 62624 · Eike Urke · 1 Apr 2012 08:33:56 · Top

Hello everybody out there...

Years ago there was a discussion on Strathspey about dance terminology and
translations of dance terms.... I have been working on the project and am
wondering now if anybody has a dance terminology database that he/she would
like to share... I am interested in all languages also english-english
descriptive one. I am not translating SCD terminology, I am trying to
compose a kind of a dance dictionary, to be able to translate Estonian
dance descriptions into English so that it would make sense :-) But I guess
that it works both ways ;-)

Looking forward to any database that anybody might have composed (for their
own or for public use) and is willing to share.

With kind regards,
Eike
Estonia

dance terminology database

Message 62625 · Mike Briggs · 1 Apr 2012 15:43:14 · Top

Eike:

I'm happy to let you be the first to know that the nice people who publish the Oxford English Dictionary have kindly agreed to publish a comprehensive dictionary of Scottish country dance terminology in all known human languages.  It will be available in paper and on-line and, since they have been making obscene profits on their regular dictionary recently, they most graciously agreed not to charge Scottish country dancers anything for its use.  You will have to furnish a photo of yourself in dance gear and will also have to demonstrate that you can, without hesitation, say 'It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the noo.'

Don't stop the presses.  It's April 1, after all.

Mike Briggs

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA
+1 608 835 0914 (o)
+1 608 770 2304 (m)
+1 608 237 2379 (f)

________________________________
Years ago there was a discussion on Strathspey about dance terminology and
translations of dance terms.... I have been working on the project and am
wondering now if anybody has a dance terminology database that he/she would
like to share...  I am interested in all languages also english-english
descriptive one. I am not translating SCD terminology, I am trying to
compose a kind of a dance dictionary, to be able to translate Estonian
dance descriptions into English so that it would make sense :-) But I guess
that it works both ways ;-)

Looking forward to any database that anybody might have composed (for their
own or for public use) and is willing to share.

With kind regards,
Eike
Estonia

dance terminology database

Message 62626 · Andrew Buxton · 1 Apr 2012 16:39:20 · Top

I used to work for the OED so I could provide some input - though certainly not on this scale!

Andrew

-----
Andrew Buxton
Lewes, East Sussex, UK

________________________________

Years ago there was a discussion on Strathspey about dance terminology and
translations of dance terms.... I have been working on the project and am
wondering now if anybody has a dance terminology database that he/she would
like to share...  I am interested in all languages also english-english
descriptive one. I am not translating SCD terminology, I am trying to
compose a kind of a dance dictionary, to be able to translate Estonian
dance descriptions into English so that it would make sense :-) But I guess
that it works both ways ;-)

Looking forward to any database that anybody might have composed (for their
own or for public use) and is willing to share.

With kind regards,
Eike
Estonia

dance terminology database

Message 62627 · Eike Urke · 1 Apr 2012 18:00:00 · Top

If it were - i would be the first to tell them - don't. :-) SCD should
remain in English or it loses its point.