strathspey Archive: 48 bar dances (was Twirling)Twirling

48 bar dances (was Twirling)Twirling

Message 62369 · Rebecca Sager · 15 Feb 2012 23:21:46 · Top

How about Waverley? That's certainly the most popular 48-bar dance in the Atlanta area, though often some of us stack a set or two to do Fugal Fergus instead! Yay Hugh Foss, again! Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Vivian Greene

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Campbell Personal" <campbell@tyler.co.za>
To: <strathspey@strathspey.org>
Subject: RE: Twirling
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:40:26 +0200

Bruce wrote:
"And last Monday night we did Cadgers in my class to tremendous reception.
There are great 48 bar dances out there and tragic that they are falling out
of favo(u)r."

Taking a quick look, Cadgers is in fact the most frequent of the 48 bar 3
couple in 4 couple set dances (#153), with Meeting of the Waters and Pines
of Pitlochry following (#168 and #169 respectively). But lets not forget
Midnight Oil (#95), Recumbant Stone (#106), both 5 couple dances and The
Earl of Mansfield (#117), 4 couple. and Moray Rant (3 couple)#80, all 48 bar
dances, although I guess not quite what Bruce is meaning.

Hope this isnt all terribly boring, but I am neck deep in programmes at
present and so the database is itching to be quoted!

Campbell
Cape Town

48 bar dances (was Twirling)Twirling

Message 62378 · campbell · 16 Feb 2012 07:56:39 · Top

Becky said:
"How about Waverley? That's certainly the most popular 48-bar dance in the
Atlanta area, though often some of us stack a set or two to do Fugal Fergus
instead! Yay Hugh Foss, again!"

If I were to combine Fugal Fergus and Waverley together, they would be more
frequent than Cadgers, but I keep them separate and Fugal comes right after
the other three I mentioned. (I do occasionally have the problem of
deciding how to record an entry which says "Waverley/Fugal Fergus". I go
for Fugal in that case.)

The other 48 bar that deserves to be mentioned in the same company is New
Rigged Ship, still out there.

Campbell
Cape Town

48 bar dances (was Twirling)Twirling

Message 62379 · Bruce Herbold · 16 Feb 2012 08:21:46 · Top

and not to forget Miss Mary Douglas and the lovely Reel of Mey (although it
lacks the pedigree of the others, it does bring us back to Hamilton's Rant
which is #2 in book 22, while Reel of Mey is #1).

all fun that is too seldom enjoyed.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

"If 90% of the ideas you generate aren't absolutely worthless, then
you're not generating enough ideas". --Michael Artin

48 bar dances (was Twirling)Twirling

Message 62380 · Mike Briggs · 16 Feb 2012 09:14:44 · Top

The grammar police were patrolling in my neighborhood tonight, and they said I could be busted if I called it Hamilton's Rant when the legal designation is The Hamilton Rant.

Just saying.

Mike Briggs

 1519 Storytown Road

Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA