strathspey Archive: Eric's cribs on the Kindle

Eric's cribs on the Kindle

Message 62148 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Dec 2011 00:02:01 · Top

Here's an early Christmas present for all the Kindle users on this list (or at
any rate, for all those of you who have asked Santa for a Kindle, something to
try on Christmas morning).

Eric Ferguson has kindl(e?)y consented to my preparing an edition of his
massive dance crib collection for the Kindle. This could help people who don't
have Internet access where they teach and so can't get at the SCD database,
and it goes well with the electronic editions of the RSCDS Manual that the
Society publishes on its web site. I have put a first stab at this up on

http://media.strathspey.org/kindle/etf-cribs.mobi

You will have to download this onto your PC and move it across to the Kindle
via the USB connection (or at any rate this is what I seem to have to do with
mine). (And before you ask, no, I can't put this up on the Amazon Kindle Store
because Amazon won't let me give stuff away for free – and charging a dollar
for Eric's work just to make Jeff Bezos happy doesn't ring true to me.)

Feel free to check this out and to suggest improvements – in particular for
the navigation, which sucks on a non-touchscreen Kindle. I will eventually
make an EPUB version, too (which will go even better with the EPUB Manual).

Have fun, and merry Christmas!
Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.

Eric's cribs on the Kindle

Message 62149 · WENDY LOBERG · 24 Dec 2011 00:44:41 · Top

Wow, that's fabulous. Is it available for Kobo Vox. That's what I'm getting for Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone

> From: anselm@strathspey.org
> To: strathspey@strathspey.org
> Subject: Eric's cribs on the Kindle
> Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 00:02:01 +0100
>
> Here's an early Christmas present for all the Kindle users on this list (or at
> any rate, for all those of you who have asked Santa for a Kindle, something to
> try on Christmas morning).
>
> Eric Ferguson has kindl(e?)y consented to my preparing an edition of his
> massive dance crib collection for the Kindle. This could help people who don't
> have Internet access where they teach and so can't get at the SCD database,
> and it goes well with the electronic editions of the RSCDS Manual that the
> Society publishes on its web site. I have put a first stab at this up on
>
> http://media.strathspey.org/kindle/etf-cribs.mobi
>
> You will have to download this onto your PC and move it across to the Kindle
> via the USB connection (or at any rate this is what I seem to have to do with
> mine). (And before you ask, no, I can't put this up on the Amazon Kindle Store
> because Amazon won't let me give stuff away for free – and charging a dollar
> for Eric's work just to make Jeff Bezos happy doesn't ring true to me.)
>
> Feel free to check this out and to suggest improvements – in particular for
> the navigation, which sucks on a non-touchscreen Kindle. I will eventually
> make an EPUB version, too (which will go even better with the EPUB Manual).
>
> Have fun, and merry Christmas!
> Anselm
> --
> Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
> Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things.
> -- Robert A. Heinlein

Eric's cribs on the Kindle

Message 62150 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Dec 2011 01:17:47 · Top

Wendy Loberg wrote:

> Wow, that's fabulous. Is it available for Kobo Vox. That's what I'm
> getting for Christmas.

I don't know what that device is like but it will probably take EPUB rather
than the Kindle format. I'll prepare an EPUB file but not by Christmas morning
:^(

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
Listen, people: You should never, ever have to utter the words »Grande

Eric's cribs on the Kindle

Message 62151 · Gary Knox · 24 Dec 2011 01:20:23 · Top

Very well done Anselm. I just downloaded it to a Kindle Reader on an iPad2. The touchscreen works okay with the index at the back.

Suggestion - is it possible to put the index at the beginning of the document?

______________________
Gary Knox
San Francisco Branch
gary@reeljig.com

[...]

Message 62152 · Brian Charlton · 24 Dec 2011 03:36:45 · Top

Hello,

Congartulations Anselm. It worked very well on my Kindle.

I have used Calibre to convert it to an ePub and tested it in Firefox.
Again, it works well and looks good. I use a Laptop in Class for music and
this will be a valuable addition.

Thanks Anselm for all your effort on our behalf and Eric for probucing the
excellent cribs.

To all, have a great holiday season and return to dancing refreshed.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 24 December 2011 11:20, Gary Knox <gary@reeljig.com> wrote:

> Very well done Anselm. I just downloaded it to a Kindle Reader on an
> iPad2. The touchscreen works okay with the index at the back.
>
> Suggestion - is it possible to put the index at the beginning of the
> document?
>
> ______________________
> Gary Knox
> San Francisco Branch
> gary@reeljig.com

Eric's cribs on the Kindle

Message 62153 · Anselm Lingnau · 24 Dec 2011 12:14:21 · Top

Gary Knox wrote:

> Suggestion - is it possible to put the index at the beginning of the
> document?

I'll look into that. In the meantime at least on my Kindle device there is a
»Go to … => Table of Contents« function that gives reasonably quick access to
the index.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
Well-being is attained by little and little, and nevertheless it is no little