strathspey Archive: Irish Country Dances from 1790s

Irish Country Dances from 1790s

Message 61920 · Patricia Ruggiero · 24 Oct 2011 04:20:00 · Top

(Forwarded from Chris Brady on the English List)

A newly released set of digitised images from the 1790s of country dances
from Ireland.

http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/print-collection/country-dance-collections
-1790s/

There are four books, each with 5 pages. Unfortunately, the last dance on
each page is usually cut off so we can't read the entire dance.

Several of the dances carry the same name as those in the RSCDS repertoire
(which usually have an earlier date), but the figures are different. Much
simpler. In fact, all the dances are simple, very much alike, and many have
the same ending (down the middle and up, cast off, turn partner); also many
seem to be only 24 bars.

One dance, The Highland Fair, is *almost* the same as ours. It's
instructive to compare Bars 17-24 in both versions, as it shows what the
RSCDS was up against when working with original instructions (in this case,
how to achieve progression). Music is different. Ours is a Jig, whereas the
Irish music looks to be a Strathspey (Reel?).

Would anyone happen to know what the figure "see saw" was?

Pat

Irish Country Dances from 1790s

Message 61921 · Iain Boyd · 24 Oct 2011 05:38:03 · Top

Thank you very much, Patricia!

All the displayed pages are scrollable - just position the mouse over the digitised page, hold the left mouse button down (the curser will change from an open hand to a closed hand)and either push the document up or draw it down.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

________________________________
[...]

Message 61925 · Patricia Ruggiero · 24 Oct 2011 18:59:11 · Top

Iain, this Technodud thanks you very much for explaining how to view the
rest of the pages!

Pat

> All the displayed pages are scrollable - just position the mouse over the
> digitised page, hold the left mouse button down (the curser will change
> from an open hand to a closed hand)and either push the document up or draw
> it down.

> Iain Boyd

Irish Country Dances from 1790s

Message 61932 · Fran Smith · 25 Oct 2011 20:55:16 · Top

I've come across see saw, at an ECD workshop, I think. There it was danced
as Do-sa-do passing Left shoulder forward and Right backward
Fran (South Wales)

...............................................Would anyone happen to know what the figure "see saw" was?

Pat

Irish Country Dances from 1790s

Message 61938 · jo.pickering · 26 Oct 2011 09:38:45 · Top

It's used for a left shoulder do-si-do in American square dancing. I've never heard it used in ECD though.

Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange