strathspey Archive: Software for laptop

Software for laptop

Message 61915 · Alan Harrison · 23 Oct 2011 21:46:09 · Top

Hi All,

I know there has been discussion about this recently but, we will be using
music uploaded to a laptop for dance classes, ceilidh’s etc.  Is there
software I can download which will enable us to slow down or speed up the
tracks when played?

Best regards,
Alan.
RSCDS Leeds Branch
www.piper-alan.co.uk

Software for laptop

Message 61916 · RODERICK JOHNSTON · 23 Oct 2011 21:49:56 · Top

Any audio recording software will allow you to change tempo without affecting the pitch.  A good free one is Adobe Edition.

Roddy,
Fort William

From: Alan Harrison <ajandja26@tiscali.co.uk>
To: strathspey@strathspey.org
Sent: Sunday, 23 October 2011, 20:46
Subject: Software for laptop

Hi All,

I know there has been discussion about this recently but, we will be using
music uploaded to a laptop for dance classes, ceilidh’s etc.  Is there
software I can download which will enable us to slow down or speed up the
tracks when played?

Best regards,
Alan.
RSCDS Leeds Branch
www.piper-alan.co.uk

Software for laptop

Message 61917 · Oberdan Otto · 23 Oct 2011 21:53:38 · Top

Things change from time to time and there are many options. I think you are asking for the capability of changing the speed at the time you are playing it, so:

for PC: Winamp with the Pacemaker plug-in--works great in real time changing tempo without changing speed

for Mac: Amazing Slow Downer

Cheers, Oberdan.

On Oct 23, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Alan Harrison wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know there has been discussion about this recently but, we will be using
> music uploaded to a laptop for dance classes, ceilidh’s etc. Is there
> software I can download which will enable us to slow down or speed up the
> tracks when played?
>
> Best regards,
> Alan.
> RSCDS Leeds Branch
> www.piper-alan.co.uk

Software for laptop

Message 61918 · Brian Charlton · 23 Oct 2011 22:47:46 · Top

Hello,

I have used WinAmp with Pacemaker plug-in for a number of years. Another
plug-in that works well is SL1200 speed control (I found it on the WinAmp
plug-in listing). I also use a Keyspan remote control, but it does not have
a driver for 64-bit Windows 7.

Another suggestion is Virtual DJ Home, which is a free download and has
speed control built-in.

By the way, I use the genre code to identify the type of music, e.g. Jig
4x32, Ssp 8x32, etc. This makes it easy to find options for lesser-used
music structures. You can search WinAmp for what you want, or sort by
clicking on the list heading.

Brian Charlton,
Sydney, Australia

On 24 October 2011 06:53, Oberdan Otto <ootto@ootto.com> wrote:

> Things change from time to time and there are many options. I think you are
> asking for the capability of changing the speed at the time you are playing
> it, so:
>
> for PC: Winamp with the Pacemaker plug-in--works great in real time
> changing tempo without changing speed
>
> for Mac: Amazing Slow Downer
>
> Cheers, Oberdan.
>
> On Oct 23, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Alan Harrison wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I know there has been discussion about this recently but, we will be
> using
> > music uploaded to a laptop for dance classes, ceilidh’s etc. Is there
> > software I can download which will enable us to slow down or speed up the
> > tracks when played?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Alan.
> > RSCDS Leeds Branch
> > www.piper-alan.co.uk

Software for laptop

Message 61926 · Bruce Herbold · 24 Oct 2011 23:25:28 · Top

The Amazing Slow Downer is also available for PC's I have it and use it
happily although it was a larger chunk of change than I would have liked
paying....

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

--
Bruce Herbold

Software for laptop

Message 61927 · Greg Reznick · 24 Oct 2011 23:28:39 · Top

The version of Windows Media Player that comes (free!) with Windows 7 has a
speed control. Works great.

Greg Reznick
Berkeley

--
Bruce Herbold

Software for laptop

Message 61929 · Steve Wyrick · 24 Oct 2011 23:40:52 · Top

Yes a bit pricey but on the positive side, tech support is exceptional.

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Software for laptop

Message 61919 · Doug Mills · 23 Oct 2011 23:55:29 · Top

I also use Virtual DJ (the Home version is free) - the speed control is
good, it's range can be changed from 6% (You have to move the slider a
long way to notice any change) to 50% (where the slightest adjustment
causes an alarming change in speed). I have mine set to 12%.

Virtual DJ has two "decks" - you can load a dance onto one deck and while
it is playing get your next dance onto the other deck, ready to go.
Because it is not actually designed for SCD, you can also surprise your
dancers by adding effects like "Beatgrid", "wahwah" and "flippindouble" -
no, I don't know what they mean either.

I've used the "comments" field to add "R32 x 8" etc to each track so that
I can quickly search for a type of dance.

Only real disadvantage? I have 1600 dances loaded and to find, for
example, a recording of Maxwells' Rant, I can't just click on the Title
field and type "M" to take me to the M section - I have to scroll (or use
the slider) through all the dances to find Maxwells.

It's also pretty easy to make and save playlists for each nights programme.

Doug Mills
Christchurch
New Zealand

> Hi All,
>
> I know there has been discussion about this recently but, we will be using
> music uploaded to a laptop for dance classes, ceilidh’s etc.  Is there
> software I can download which will enable us to slow down or speed up the
> tracks when played?
>
> Best regards,
> Alan.
> RSCDS Leeds Branch
> www.piper-alan.co.uk

Software for laptop

Message 61924 · Margaret Allan · 24 Oct 2011 11:46:50 · Top

Hi,

I am not very good with computers, but I teach SCD and my son has downloaded
me a programme called - WinCDGPro2

All my music is categorised by, dance name, speed and band. There is also a
function to alter the speed. Don't know whether this will help anybody.

Regards
Margaret Allan (Clitheroe Caledonian Society)