strathspey Archive: Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61860 · Volleyballjerry · 1 Oct 2011 16:35:03 · Top

Looks to me as though somebody's e-mail has been hijacked...comes
(ostensibly) from _gr8scot@earthlink,net_ (mailto:gr8scot@earthlink,net) and
states reply to: _strathspey@strathspey.org_ (mailto:strathspey@strathspey.org) ;
sent to multiple addressees, none of whom I recognize as usual
Strathspeyers with the possible exception of the nonetheless unfamiliar
_strathspey@tm.infirmatik.uni-frankfurt.de_
(mailto:strathspey@tm.infirmatik.uni-frankfurt.de) .

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

In a message dated 10/1/2011 3:56:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
gr8scot@earthlink.net writes:

hey
I refused to keep living that way I took my chances with this now everyone
recognizes me you have potential give it a try
http://pcsw.home.pl/PaulJackson39.html
see you

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61862 · Moira Theriault · 1 Oct 2011 20:05:01 · Top

I must confess that it is my email address that has been hijacked and I have
no idea what to do about it. I discovered this when I received returned
mail this morning as a result of these messages being sent to addresses that
are no longer valid.
I am going to contact Earthlink and my antivirus software provider but,
unfortunately the damage is done. I even received a request from a Yahoo
Group Moderator to unsubscribe from the Group. How embarrassing!
I am and have been a Scottish Country dancer all my life, over 50 years and
have been a legitimate member of Strathspey.org for many years.
I am so sorry this occurred.

Moira Theriault
Colorado Springs
gr8scot@earthlink.net
[...]

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61863 · John Mccain · 1 Oct 2011 20:39:05 · Top

Changing your login password usually fixes the problem. If you have other passwords, change them, too, and make them difficult to "guess."

On Oct 1, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Moira Theriault wrote:

> I must confess that it is my email address that has been hijacked and I have
> no idea what to do about it. I discovered this when I received returned
> mail this morning as a result of these messages being sent to addresses that
> are no longer valid.
> I am going to contact Earthlink and my antivirus software provider but,
> unfortunately the damage is done. I even received a request from a Yahoo
> Group Moderator to unsubscribe from the Group. How embarrassing!
> I am and have been a Scottish Country dancer all my life, over 50 years and
> have been a legitimate member of Strathspey.org for many years.
> I am so sorry this occurred.
>
> Moira Theriault
> Colorado Springs
> gr8scot@earthlink.net

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61864 · Volleyballjerry · 1 Oct 2011 20:49:01 · Top

First of all, Moira, it is of course most thoughtful of you to apologize,
but everyone who may be involved will know that it is not your fault, but
rather that you are the victim of circumstances and someone else's
misconduct. Seeing the paucity of Strathspeyers' responses, it may even be that I
am the only one who was e-mailed in this manner. Having sent my own e-mail
(we happen to have had our own e-mail address since the last ice age, but
folks do tend to change them from time to time), so your hijacked e-mail may
have actually reached relatively few people. But yes, contacting
Earthlink is certainly appropriate.

Feeling sympathetic toward you as clearly a blameless victim of this,

Robb

In a message dated 10/1/2011 11:05:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[...]

Message 61866 · Hanny Budnick · 1 Oct 2011 22:59:44 · Top

On 01.10.2011 20:49, Volleyballjerry@aol.com wrote:
> First of all, Moira, it is of course most thoughtful of you to apologize,
> but everyone who may be involved will know that it is not your fault, but
> rather that you are the victim of circumstances and someone else's
> misconduct. Seeing the paucity of Strathspeyers' responses, it may even be that I
> am the only one who was e-mailed in this manner. Having sent my own e-mail
> (we happen to have had our own e-mail address since the last ice age, but
> folks do tend to change them from time to time), so your hijacked e-mail may
> have actually reached relatively few people. But yes, contacting
> Earthlink is certainly appropriate.
>
> Feeling sympathetic toward you as clearly a blameless victim of this,
>
> Robb
>

> In a message dated 10/1/2011 11:05:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> gr8scot@earthlink.net writes:
>
> I must confess that it is my email address that has been hijacked and I
> have
> no idea what to do about it. I discovered this when I received returned
> mail this morning as a result of these messages being sent to addresses
> that
> are no longer valid.
> I am going to contact Earthlink and my antivirus software provider but,
> unfortunately the damage is done. I even received a request from a Yahoo
> Group Moderator to unsubscribe from the Group. How embarrassing!
> I am and have been a Scottish Country dancer all my life, over 50 years and
> have been a legitimate member of Strathspey.org for many years.
> I am so sorry this occurred.
>
> Moira Theriault
> Colorado Springs
> gr8scot@earthlink.net

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61867 · ninian-uk · 1 Oct 2011 23:22:20 · Top

I expect a lot of members have had experience of hacking, followed by
unpleasant and inappropriate messages being sent, supposedly by them. One
way to avoid this (not the hacking, but having e-mails sent to everyone in
your address book) is o enter a new 'address'. Something like !!00000 will
automatically go to the first place in your address book. Allegedly,
computers are so stupid that, if unable to send a message to !!00000 it will
give up trying to send to all the other addresses.

Try it - you can't lose out and it may just work.

David
Berkeley, UK

> First of all, Moira, it is of course most thoughtful of you to apologize,
> but everyone who may be involved will know that it is not your fault, but
> rather that you are the victim of circumstances and someone else's
> misconduct. Seeing the paucity of Strathspeyers' responses, it may even
> be that I
> am the only one who was e-mailed in this manner. Having sent my own
> e-mail
> invalid
> (we happen to have had our own e-mail address since the last ice age, but
> folks do tend to change them from time to time), so your hijacked e-mail
> may
> have actually reached relatively few people. But yes, contacting
> Earthlink is certainly appropriate.
>
> Feeling sympathetic toward you as clearly a blameless victim of this,
>
> Robb
>

> In a message dated 10/1/2011 11:05:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> gr8scot@earthlink.net writes:
>
> I must confess that it is my email address that has been hijacked and I
> have
> no idea what to do about it. I discovered this when I received returned
> mail this morning as a result of these messages being sent to addresses
> that
> are no longer valid.
> I am going to contact Earthlink and my antivirus software provider but,
> unfortunately the damage is done. I even received a request from a Yahoo
> Group Moderator to unsubscribe from the Group. How embarrassing!
> I am and have been a Scottish Country dancer all my life, over 50 years
> and
> have been a legitimate member of Strathspey.org for many years.
> I am so sorry this occurred.
>
> Moira Theriault
> Colorado Springs
> gr8scot@earthlink.net

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61870 · Moira Theriault · 2 Oct 2011 04:44:11 · Top

I don't think that would work David. The messages were sent to people on my
address book with expired or invalid addresses and I learned about the
hacking because the Postmaster returned them stating that the messages were
undelivered. The computer does not have a problem sending the message it
only has a problem delivering it.

Moira Theriault
719-494-0666
gr8scot@earthlink.net

> First of all, Moira, it is of course most thoughtful of you to apologize,
> but everyone who may be involved will know that it is not your fault, but
> rather that you are the victim of circumstances and someone else's
> misconduct. Seeing the paucity of Strathspeyers' responses, it may even
> be that I
> am the only one who was e-mailed in this manner. Having sent my own
> e-mail
> invalid
> (we happen to have had our own e-mail address since the last ice age, but
> folks do tend to change them from time to time), so your hijacked e-mail
> may
> have actually reached relatively few people. But yes, contacting
> Earthlink is certainly appropriate.
>
> Feeling sympathetic toward you as clearly a blameless victim of this,
>
> Robb
>

> In a message dated 10/1/2011 11:05:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> gr8scot@earthlink.net writes:
>
> I must confess that it is my email address that has been hijacked and I
> have
> no idea what to do about it. I discovered this when I received returned
> mail this morning as a result of these messages being sent to addresses
> that
> are no longer valid.
> I am going to contact Earthlink and my antivirus software provider but,
> unfortunately the damage is done. I even received a request from a Yahoo
> Group Moderator to unsubscribe from the Group. How embarrassing!
> I am and have been a Scottish Country dancer all my life, over 50 years
> and
> have been a legitimate member of Strathspey.org for many years.
> I am so sorry this occurred.
>
> Moira Theriault
> Colorado Springs
> gr8scot@earthlink.net

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61869 · Patricia Ruggiero · 2 Oct 2011 03:28:45 · Top

Robb wrote:

> Seeing the paucity of Strathspeyers' responses, it may even
> be that I
> am the only one who was e-mailed in this manner.

I just discovered it in my Junk Mail folder, Norton having identified it as
Spam. I deleted it, unopened.

Pat

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61873 · Chris Ronald · 2 Oct 2011 16:19:40 · Top

> Pat wrote:

> *I just discovered it in my Junk Mail folder, Norton having identified it
> as
> Spam. I deleted it, unopened.
> *

Same here. I just checked my spam folder. The message is there, put there
> by Gmail, I assume.

Chris.

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61872 · Anselm Lingnau · 2 Oct 2011 14:18:07 · Top

Moira Theriault wrote:

> I must confess that it is my email address that has been hijacked and I
> have no idea what to do about it. I discovered this when I received
> returned mail this morning as a result of these messages being sent to
> addresses that are no longer valid.
> I am going to contact Earthlink and my antivirus software provider but,
> unfortunately the damage is done. I even received a request from a Yahoo
> Group Moderator to unsubscribe from the Group. How embarrassing!
> I am and have been a Scottish Country dancer all my life, over 50 years and
> have been a legitimate member of Strathspey.org for many years.
> I am so sorry this occurred.

First of all, this isn't the end of the world. That sort of thing happens all
the time and there is little one can do about it, at least retroactively. It
doesn't even have to mean that your own machine is compromised – just the
other day I received a fair number of error messages (hundreds!) from mail
servers all over the world because some spammer apparently decided to forge
some spam under a mail address I last used a decade or so ago (but which still
works and is forwarded to one of my current accounts).

I had a look at the message in question, and one thing that jumps out is that
as far as I can tell the mail wasn't actually sent from Moira's own computer.
It looks as if it was submitted to Earthlink's web mail interface from a
machine with the IP address 218.12.2.148, which doesn't have an official name
but appears to be located in China. So one thing Moira should be looking into
to sort this out is the security of her web-mail account, rather than the
security of her own computer.

Which is not to say, everybody, that the security of your own computers can to
be neglected. Today I won't go into the number-one thing you can do to be safe
from viruses and »trojans« (people who have been on this list for a while know
what *I* would recommend), but do make sure that you have up-to-date virus
scanners etc. and know how to use them! And of course choose sensible
passwords for the web services that you use. For an interesting take on that
topic see http://xkcd.com/936/ .

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61875 · Moira Theriault · 2 Oct 2011 18:32:05 · Top

Thank you for that information on the IP address, Anselm. I think you are
correct on the Webmail issue because today I received a bogus email stating
that there was an issue with my Webmail and would I confirm my password.
This supposedly came from the Earthlink Support Team. Now, I am not "green"
when it comes to the use of computers and it obviously was not from
Earthlink but, that is typical of how some innocent users can be tricked
into jeopardizing their security. I have Antivirus Software and Adware
protection and my computer is scanned regularly. I have contacted Earthlink
and changed my password.

Moira Theriault
Colorado Springs
gr8scot@earthlink.net

> [...]

security of her own computer.

Which is not to say, everybody, that the security of your own computers can
be neglected. Today I won't go into the number-one thing you can do to be
safe
from viruses and >trojans< (people who have been on this list for a while
know
what *I* would recommend), but do make sure that you have up-to-date virus
scanners etc. and know how to use them! And of course choose sensible
passwords for the web services that you use. For an interesting take on that

topic see http://xkcd.com/936/ .

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany .................
anselm@strathspey.org
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.

Message 61904 · Stasa Morgan-Appel · 11 Oct 2011 16:17:44 · Top

Also, fellow Mac users, we, too, should be sure we have good anti-virus and
anti-malware software. While there's less of it for Macs, it does exist,
and we tend to be less prepared to deal with it when we have to.

- Stasa, Edinburgh

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Anselm Lingnau <anselm@strathspey.org>wrote:
[snip]

> Which is not to say, everybody, that the security of your own computers can
> be neglected. Today I won't go into the number-one thing you can do to be
> safe
> from viruses and »trojans« (people who have been on this list for a while
> know
> what *I* would recommend), but do make sure that you have up-to-date virus
> scanners etc. and know how to use them! And of course choose sensible
> passwords for the web services that you use. For an interesting take on
> that
> topic see http://xkcd.com/936/ .
>
> Anselm
> --
> Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany .................
> anselm@strathspey.org
> It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.
> -- Herman
> Melville

Hey friend! (e-mail hijacking?)

Message 61914 · John Chambers · 16 Oct 2011 02:54:19 · Top

Moira Theriault wrote:
| Thank you for that information on the IP address, Anselm. I think you are
| correct on the Webmail issue because today I received a bogus email stating
| that there was an issue with my Webmail and would I confirm my password.
| This supposedly came from the Earthlink Support Team. Now, I am not "green"
| when it comes to the use of computers and it obviously was not from
| Earthlink but, that is typical of how some innocent users can be tricked
| into jeopardizing their security. I have Antivirus Software and Adware
| protection and my computer is scanned regularly. I have contacted Earthlink
| and changed my password.

Actually, there's a fairly simple "rule" that applies in this case: Any email
message that asks you for your id and password is *always* bogus. Nobody that
you have an account with would ever ask for these things, because they know
them. (And they don't want you to send the information in unencrypted email,
for very obvious reasons.) Anyone who needs to ask for such info is merely
trying to get it so they can pretend to be you. Any message that asks for
such info should simply be trashed. Don't reply to it.

--
Give someone a program, frustrate them for a day.
Teach someone to program, frustrate them for a lifetime.