strathspey Archive: 3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

Message 61533 · jo.pickering · 2 Aug 2011 20:38:08 · Top

I think the concensus is for the four couple set for triple minor dances.

Some exceptions though:

Who would want to do Moneymusk eight times through with interminable standing out?

When doing a simple SCD for non-xancers at a ceilidh who would be confused by the progression.

And finally what about duple minors? I think they are a disaster in four couple sets and usually provoke groans when announced. However if done in five couple sets with first and third couples starting and danced as long as everybody has the energy then they can be a revelation.

Jo
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

Message 61534 · mlamontbrown · 2 Aug 2011 20:45:08 · Top

Jo asked:
Who would want to do Monymusk eight times through with interminable standing
out?

Answer: - Malcolm & Helen

Malcolm Brown
York (UK)

I think the concensus is for the four couple set for triple minor dances.

Some exceptions though:

Who would want to do Moneymusk eight times through with interminable
standing out?

When doing a simple SCD for non-xancers at a ceilidh who would be confused
by the progression.

And finally what about duple minors? I think they are a disaster in four
couple sets and usually provoke groans when announced. However if done in
five couple sets with first and third couples starting and danced as long as
everybody has the energy then they can be a revelation.

Jo
Sent using BlackBerryR from Orange

3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

Message 61537 · Bruce Herbold · 2 Aug 2011 21:42:46 · Top

And Bruce and his wife, (and thankfully usually whoever my partner is, I'd
feel really stupid standing there by myself).

--
Bruce Herbold

3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

Message 61538 · Kent Smith · 2 Aug 2011 21:50:03 · Top

Hundreds in the eastern U.S.A. and Canada, where Monymusk and similar strathspeys regularly appear on ball programs with 100 or more in attendance, seemingly with considerable enjoyment.

Kent
Connecticut, U.S.A.

--
Bruce Herbold

3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

Message 61540 · keltek1@att.net · 2 Aug 2011 21:54:47 · Top

Monymusk continues to appear frequently on North American dance programs, 8 times through. I haven't heard anyone complain.

-Alan Twhigg.

>________________________________

Message 61586 · Denise Smith · 4 Aug 2011 00:20:14 · Top

The Smiths of Brisbane, Australia as well - especially if Paul can dance it
with Helen Brown.
The Smiths

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

3-couple dances in 4-couple sets, again (was: dance terminology[Recaps] etc etc

Message 61535 · campbell · 2 Aug 2011 21:18:54 · Top

Jo wrote:
And finally what about duple minors? I think they are a disaster in four
couple sets and usually provoke groans when announced. However if done in
five couple sets with first and third couples starting and danced as long as
everybody has the energy then they can be a revelation.

Sorry Jo, but like Malcolm with Monymusk I have to disagree about duple
minors. Four couple sets is how they have been written for so long, and with
good reason. The idea of 1s and 3s starting is an improvement I think, but
otherwise I love duple minors (a new term for me, but I am nothing if not
flexible!). Everyone processing down the floor in Anna Holden Strathspey is
a special moment. You never get that in a three couple set and you always
have one couple standing out with five sets. Nah, nothing beats the four
couple set, for my taste at any rate.

(Relating this to the thread, I am amazed at how often couples will dance
twice and then slip to the bottom in duple minors, instead of doing it
through three times. Not because they are tired, although sometimes this is
the case, but more because they are so into doing that for 3 couple dances.)

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

database 6345 (20110802) __________

http://www.eset.com