strathspey Archive: The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60955 · Anselm Lingnau · 26 May 2011 15:15:20 · Top

Everyone who missed last Saturday's Rapture will be greatly relieved to find
that an event that has been nearly as often foretold by sages, even more often
dismissed as very unlikely by the sceptical, and still more often postponed
into the indefinite future after prior predictions failed to materialise, is
finally coming to pass today.

The Strathspey Anniversary Book is available. Download it from

http://www.strathspey.org/libDances/sspbook.pdf

Thank you on behalf of the Strathspey team to all the dance
devi^H^H^H^Hauthors and tune composers who contributed their time and effort
and who with infinite patience have waited for a very long time for the book
to actually appear. Thank you also to everybody who offered and/or gave
assistance while the book was being prepared. Please enjoy the dances and the
tunes and if you do, be sure to let us know how you got on.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
That's the obnoxious part of religion, and why it's in conflict with science.

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60957 · Chris Ronald · 26 May 2011 16:43:31 · Top

As one of the devisers/authors, I am delighted that this collection has
appeared, albeit 8 years later. The layout of the 'book' is very pleasing.

In case anyone is interested, here's some additional information regarding
my dance, Balance On-Line:

1. My original submission had two diagrams, to help in understanding the
set-up of dancers at various places in the dance. If anyone would like to
see these diagrams, or indeed the whole dance in diagram form, please let me
know.

2. Two years ago I published a book of dances myself, and included Balance
On-Line. The book is 12 Scottish Country Dances and a hard copy can be
obtained from TACBooks. All proceeds go to the TAC scholarship fund for
training teacher candidates. Alternatively, if you would like an electronic
copy, let me know and I'll send it to you.

3. My dance is the only one in the book without music! Also, until recently
I was not aware of any 4x32 recording with my suggested tune as the lead
tune. However, one has recently appeared: it is track 12 on Nicol McLaren's
CD for the RSCDS Ribble Valley Branch.

Thanks again to Anselm for this initiative.

Chris Ronald, New York.

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Anselm Lingnau <anselm@strathspey.org>wrote:

> Everyone who missed last Saturday's Rapture will be greatly relieved to
> find
> that an event that has been nearly as often foretold by sages, even more
> often
> dismissed as very unlikely by the sceptical, and still more often postponed
> into the indefinite future after prior predictions failed to materialise,
> is
> finally coming to pass today.
>
> The Strathspey Anniversary Book is available. Download it from
>
> http://www.strathspey.org/libDances/sspbook.pdf
>
> Thank you on behalf of the Strathspey team to all the dance
> devi^H^H^H^Hauthors and tune composers who contributed their time and
> effort
> and who with infinite patience have waited for a very long time for the
> book
> to actually appear. Thank you also to everybody who offered and/or gave
> assistance while the book was being prepared. Please enjoy the dances and
> the
> tunes and if you do, be sure to let us know how you got on.
>
> Anselm
> --
> Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany .................
> anselm@strathspey.org
> That's the obnoxious part of religion, and why it's in conflict with
> science.
> Science is the world of Let's-Find-Out, while religion is always the land
> of
> You-Can't-Know-That. -- PZ
> Myers

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60958 · Anselm Lingnau · 26 May 2011 17:18:09 · Top

Chris Ronald wrote:

> 1. My original submission had two diagrams, to help in understanding the
> set-up of dancers at various places in the dance. If anyone would like to
> see these diagrams, or indeed the whole dance in diagram form, please let
> me know.

Oops. These may have got lost somewhere. I'll see whether I can add them to
the book.

> 3. My dance is the only one in the book without music! Also, until
> recently I was not aware of any 4x32 recording with my suggested tune as
> the lead tune. However, one has recently appeared: it is track 12 on
> Nicol McLaren's CD for the RSCDS Ribble Valley Branch.

That's because the tune (by Angus Fitchet, who died in 1988) is still
copyrighted and thus can't be included in a Creative-Commons licensed book.
All the other dances use either »traditional« (i.e., composer dead for longer
than 70 years) tunes or music specifically commissioned for the dances, where
the composers are fine with them being included (this was one of the original
stipulations of the project).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
Men of the pen have seldom any great skill in conquering kingdoms, but they

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60959 · Volleyballjerry · 26 May 2011 18:03:27 · Top

As closely as I was associated with the history of the book's production,
not to mention having a dance of my own included, I am of course delighted
to see this final product.

I very much appreciate the inclusion of your particular thanks to me in the
acknowledgments, Anselm.

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

In a message dated 5/26/2011 6:15:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
anselm@strathspey.org writes:

[...]

Message 60960 · Pia Walker · 26 May 2011 18:35:28 · Top

Perhaps the next one (in two years time?) should be called 'A step in time'
Lol
Pia

[...]

Message 60963 · sophie.rickebusch · 26 May 2011 23:37:33 · Top

Is anyone else having problems with the link? I just get a black page...
I tried both clicking on the link in the e-mail below and navigating
from the Strathspey homepage, same result :-(

I'm using Firefox (Windows), in case that's any help.

Sophie

--

Sophie Rickebusch
Haler, NL

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60964 · Mark Priest · 26 May 2011 23:41:42 · Top

Sophie,

I haven't had any trouble with IE and Chrome on windows. From what I
remember, Firefox likes to download attachments and put them in your
downloads folder. You might check to see if it downloaded the pdf
there.

-Mark

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Sophie Rickebusch
<sophie.rickebusch@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> Is anyone else having problems with the link? I just get a black page... I
> tried both clicking on the link in the e-mail below and navigating from the
> Strathspey homepage, same result :-(
>
> I'm using Firefox (Windows), in case that's any help.
>
> Sophie
>
> On 26.05.2011 15:15, Anselm Lingnau wrote:
>>
>> Everyone who missed last Saturday's Rapture will be greatly relieved to
>> find
>> that an event that has been nearly as often foretold by sages, even more
>> often
>> dismissed as very unlikely by the sceptical, and still more often
>> postponed
>> into the indefinite future after prior predictions failed to materialise,
>> is
>> finally coming to pass today.
>>
>> The Strathspey Anniversary Book is available. Download it from
>>
>>   http://www.strathspey.org/libDances/sspbook.pdf
>>
>> Thank you on behalf of the Strathspey team to all the dance
>> devi^H^H^H^Hauthors and tune composers who contributed their time and
>> effort
>> and who with infinite patience have waited for a very long time for the
>> book
>> to actually appear. Thank you also to everybody who offered and/or gave
>> assistance while the book was being prepared. Please enjoy the dances and
>> the
>> tunes and if you do, be sure to let us know how you got on.
>>
>> Anselm
>
> --
>
> Sophie Rickebusch
> Haler, NL

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60965 · Steve Wyrick · 26 May 2011 23:47:48 · Top

I'd had success with Chrome but also just tried it with Firefox 4 on WinXP,
opened with no trouble. -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

The Strathspey Anniversary Challenge (8 years later)

Message 60966 · Gary Lindsey · 27 May 2011 00:59:17 · Top

No problem with either Chrome or IE8 from here.

Have you had problems with Adobe Acrobat files in the past?
Gary Lindsey
Dayton, Ohio