strathspey Archive: Animated Dinner Dances

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60739 · Lmae · 16 Apr 2011 18:44:50 · Top

I'm pretty stoked about this... Patrick (my husband) and I have been working pretty hard to get this to happen. We have animated all the dances on our upcoming "Dinner Dance" program. I think they came out really well, and wanted to share, as well as solicit feedback.

I hope you like them,
Linda Mae Dennis

ANIMATED DINNER DANCES! There is now another aid to learning the dances on our April Dinner Dance program: "Danciemaetions" -- that is, animated figurines "dancing" each of the dances on the program. How cool is that?

Scroll down to ANIMATED DINNER DANCES on the main page of our website http://www.vancouverusa-scd.org/ and Check it out!

Now you don't need to understand Pillings diagrams or Cribs to study the dances!

Happy Dancing!
LM

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60740 · campbell · 16 Apr 2011 21:14:34 · Top

Hi Linda Mae,

I for one find it very good and with lots of potential. It is a rather big
file at 46Mb or so and for us in South AFrica it takes a signifianct amount
of time to download (about 45 minutes) which is a bit of a turn off. It
would be nice if we could hear the music at the same time too. But great
work, well done.

How long does it take you to animate a dance?

Campbell Tyler
Cape Town

I'm pretty stoked about this... Patrick (my husband) and I have been working
pretty hard to get this to happen. We have animated all the dances on our
upcoming "Dinner Dance" program. I think they came out really well, and
wanted to share, as well as solicit feedback.

I hope you like them,
Linda Mae Dennis

ANIMATED DINNER DANCES! There is now another aid to learning the dances on
our April Dinner Dance program: "Danciemaetions" -- that is, animated
figurines "dancing" each of the dances on the program. How cool is that?

Scroll down to ANIMATED DINNER DANCES on the main page of our website
http://www.vancouverusa-scd.org/ and Check it out!

Now you don't need to understand Pillings diagrams or Cribs to study the
dances!

Happy Dancing!
LM

database 6045 (20110415) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6047 (20110416) __________

http://www.eset.com

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60741 · Lmae · 16 Apr 2011 21:20:21 · Top

The files are rather big, which is why we also posted them on YouTube, but
there you can't really see the detail.
I've been working on a library of figures to streamline the process. So one
dance takes anywhere from 20 minutes to, as in the case of The Wind on Loch
Fyne, 2 days.
As the library becomes more complete, the time to do one dance should
decrease.
LM

> I for one find it very good and with lots of potential. It is a rather
> big
> file at 46Mb or so and for us in South AFrica it takes a signifianct
> amount
> of time to download (about 45 minutes) which is a bit of a turn off. It
> would be nice if we could hear the music at the same time too. But great
> work, well done.
>
> How long does it take you to animate a dance?
>
> Campbell Tyler
> Cape Town

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60742 · Steve Wyrick · 16 Apr 2011 23:54:17 · Top

Yes, very understandable and useful. Music would be nice, or a little
counter of some sort to tick off the bars, but I don't feel either of those
is essential and music could interfere with the talkthrough. Love the
ability to access via smart phone! Personally I don't think I'd even give
the users instructions on downloading the files; they should play
automatically in any modern browser and you've given them the YouTube links
to the low rez version as well; that should be enough. -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60748 · campbell · 17 Apr 2011 12:08:21 · Top

Hi Steve, the counter is there, at the top of the picture.

Campbell

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

database 6048 (20110417) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 6048 (20110417) __________

http://www.eset.com

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60766 · Steve Wyrick · 17 Apr 2011 19:20:29 · Top

Yeah, Lydia pointed that out as well. I was so focused on the animations
that I totally missed it! Would be nice to have it counting whole numbers
only.

--
Steve Wyrick -- Walnut Creek, California

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60784 · Denise Smith · 18 Apr 2011 03:14:13 · Top

Hi Linda Mae
That is SO cool - I'd love to learn how to do it!
Denise in wet Brisbane, Queensland Australia

On , Lmae <lmae@imaginationprocessing.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty stoked about this... Patrick (my husband) and I have been
> working pretty hard to get this to happen. We have animated all the
> dances on our upcoming "Dinner Dance" program. I think they came out
> really well, and wanted to share, as well as solicit feedback.

> I hope you like them,

> Linda Mae Dennis

> ANIMATED DINNER DANCES! There is now another aid to learning the dances
> on our April Dinner Dance program: "Danciemaetions" -- that is, animated
> figurines "dancing" each of the dances on the program. How cool is that?

> Scroll down to ANIMATED DINNER DANCES on the main page of our website
> http://www.vancouverusa-scd.org/ and Check it out!

> Now you don't need to understand Pillings diagrams or Cribs to study the
> dances!

> Happy Dancing!

> LM

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60787 · Anja Breest · 18 Apr 2011 10:58:33 · Top

Am 16.04.2011 18:44, schrieb Lmae:

> I hope you like them,

Wow - very nice.
And a lot of work.
I hope the dances will stay online even after the dance?

Greetings,
Anja

--
Anja Breest
Cologne, Germany

Cologne Scottish Country Dancers
http://www.rscds-cologne.de

Mail:
Strathspeylist: strathspey@rscds-cologne.de
Privat: anja.breest@girards.de

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60789 · Margaret Allan · 18 Apr 2011 15:31:18 · Top

Hi Linda Mae Dennis,

This is a fantastic piece of technology. I am suitably amazed!!!!

Regards
Margaret Allan (Clitheroe Caledonian Society)

[...]

Message 60792 · Jerome Reinstein · 18 Apr 2011 18:25:38 · Top

Hi Linda Mae

The Paris Branch is interested in possibly doing more dances like you did.
Are you willing to share the software and techniques, coding etc?

Jerry
Paris & London

On 16/04/2011 17:44, "Lmae" <lmae@imaginationprocessing.com> wrote:

>Scroll down to ANIMATED DINNER DANCES on the main page of our website
>http://www.vancouverusa-scd.org/

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60793 · Anselm Lingnau · 18 Apr 2011 19:25:58 · Top

Jerry Reinstein wrote:

> The Paris Branch is interested in possibly doing more dances like you did.
> Are you willing to share the software and techniques, coding etc?

I'd be happy to host contributed dance animations on the Strathspey site under
the auspices of the dance database, or to add YouTube links to the dances in
question to make any animations easier to find.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
Some folks press the point: »just how do these variables get set?« These folks

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60815 · Loretta Holz · 20 Apr 2011 02:26:27 · Top

Anselm--
You said--
"I'd be happy to host contributed dance animations on the Strathspey site
under
the auspices of the dance database, or to add YouTube links to the dances in
question to make any animations easier to find."

That would be great if you could provide YouTube and other URL links to
dances. How would you like them submitted to you? Do you just want the URL
and the name of the dance?

You could put the URL for the dance as a field of info for each dance.
Could you also have a reference list so we can go to it to see which dances
have videos?
Thanks for all the work you do on your website which is so beneficial for
the rest of us.
Loretta Holz
Warren, NJ, USA

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60816 · Loretta Holz · 20 Apr 2011 03:36:07 · Top

Anselm--
Clarification of message below-- In reading over your message I realized you
were thinking in terms of add links to the Animated Dinner Dances. I was
suggesting (not clearly I see now) that you add links to the many videos of
Scottish Country Dances (as danced by live dancers). I've tried to make
lists but have not been successful in organizing the URLs. Would love to
have access to a list of dances with the URLs for quick selection.
Loretta

Anselm--
You said--
"I'd be happy to host contributed dance animations on the Strathspey site
under the auspices of the dance database, or to add YouTube links to the
dances in
question to make any animations easier to find."

That would be great if you could provide YouTube and other URL links to
dances. How would you like them submitted to you? Do you just want the URL
and the name of the dance?

You could put the URL for the dance as a field of info for each dance.
Could you also have a reference list so we can go to it to see which dances
have videos?
Thanks for all the work you do on your website which is so beneficial for
the rest of us.
Loretta Holz
Warren, NJ, USA

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60822 · Anselm Lingnau · 20 Apr 2011 09:44:38 · Top

Loretta Holz wrote:

> Clarification of message below-- In reading over your message I realized
> you were thinking in terms of add links to the Animated Dinner Dances. I
> was suggesting (not clearly I see now) that you add links to the many
> videos of Scottish Country Dances (as danced by live dancers).

That, too.

I have a long list of ideas for the dance database and am champing at the bit
to actually start implementing them. Links to general videos (not just
animations) feature highly there, and in fact I have been taking casual videos
of dances in my class with a view of kick-starting this. I'd be pleased to
accept any kind of contribution towards this.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
In my line of work (y'know, truth promotion) I hear from people who think

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60824 · Cord Walter · 20 Apr 2011 15:11:44 · Top

Am 20.04.2011 09:44, schrieb Anselm Lingnau:

> I have a long list of ideas for the dance database and am champing at the bit
> to actually start implementing them. Links to general videos (not just
> animations) feature highly there, and in fact I have been taking casual videos
> of dances in my class with a view of kick-starting this. I'd be pleased to
> accept any kind of contribution towards this.

I've shown a video of the "Fairbridge Reel" [1] to my dancers recently -
this worked wonders for them understanding how the dance should look.

So, +1 from me for including links to videos (be it animations or real
life dancers) in the dance database.

-Cord

[1] This one: >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZJLlJvnaQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=196s

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60825 · Jerome Reinstein · 20 Apr 2011 16:13:12 · Top

And another 2 votes for links to videos of dances. And they don't all have
to be with as good technique as the one below to be helpful for learning.

Jerry
Paris & London

On 20/04/2011 15:11, "Cord Walter" <cord.walter@cwalter.net> wrote:

>Am 20.04.2011 09:44, schrieb Anselm Lingnau:
>>
>> Links to general videos (not just animations)
>
>So, +1 from me for including links to videos (be it animations or real
>life dancers) in the dance database.
>

>[1] This one: >
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJZJLlJvnaQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=196

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60827 · Loretta Holz · 20 Apr 2011 18:19:50 · Top

Jerry said--
And another 2 votes for links to videos of dances. And they don't all
have to be with as good technique as the one below to be helpful for
learning.

I was thinking about the excellent quality of the sample video (Cord
sent the URL) and wondering if the list (which we hope Anselm can have
available on his website) could allow a brief comment--or even a value
point (say 1 to 5). If you have only one video of a particular dance
and it's not that great--it's better than nothing. If there are
multiple videos of the same dance it would be very useful to have the
better ones noted.

Anselm--
Is there any way members could log in and give the name of the dance,
the URL and a comment? This info (with the magic of computer
databases) could be posted automatically. Hopefully not too much human
intervention would be required on your end.

Loretta
Warren, NJ, USA

Animated Dinner Dances and other URL links

Message 60828 · Lmae · 20 Apr 2011 18:59:58 · Top

In showing or watching videos for the purposes of teaching or learning, I
noticed that some people start watching the technique and miss the
'geography' of the dance. And often in live videos all the dancers are
dressed the same, so it's easy to lose 1st couple - or 2nd couple or
whichever.
This is why in the 3D animations each couple is a different color, and they
essentially just show the 'geography'.

So perhaps for a value point system we would need to consider what we're
trying to get across -- technique, covering, or simple geography.
Or perhaps just distinguish live from animated?
Linda Mae

[...]

Message 60794 · Lmae · 18 Apr 2011 21:25:45 · Top

I'm glad so many people like the animations, and I thank you all for your
enthusiasm!

At the moment, the software is not really ready for primetime.
We are still working out the bugs in a sort of test mode.

There are two possible outcomes that I can see from here. One is that we
will be able to sell the software (for a modest fee, of course).
The other is that we could offer to animate dances or dance programs (also
for a modest fee) as a service.
For the time being, we'll be working on it from both ends - trying to get
the software to a point where people can use it to animate their own dances
and dance programs, and building the 'library of figures' (it appears that
there are hundreds of ways to do reels of three) and animating dances as
requested, thence also building a library of dances.

Other suggested possibilities would be most welcome.
Linda Mae

The Paris Branch is interested in possibly doing more dances like you did.
Are you willing to share the software and techniques, coding etc?

Jerry
Paris & London

On 16/04/2011 17:44, "Lmae" <lmae@imaginationprocessing.com> wrote:

>Scroll down to ANIMATED DINNER DANCES on the main page of our website
>http://www.vancouverusa-scd.org/

Animated Dinner Dances

Message 60837 · Bruce Herbold · 22 Apr 2011 08:19:11 · Top

It is labeled for ECD but actually includes some very SCD examples --
interesting comparison with Linda's work.

check it out:
http://www.dancekaleidoscope.org.au/dance.html

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco