strathspey Archive: Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60681 · Iain Boyd · 9 Apr 2011 00:49:38 · Top

Greetings all,

I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one or
more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down the
middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those dancing out
dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while those
dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60682 · Bruce Herbold · 9 Apr 2011 00:54:03 · Top

one is Terry Glasspool's Long Way to Hanelei

--
Bruce Herbold

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60683 · Lmae · 9 Apr 2011 01:15:36 · Top

Another one is Hairy Mary, by Priscilla Burrage, published in Cross-Country
Capers.

Not really about a fish, but a fishing fly... in case you wanted to add it
to your list of fish dances.
LM

--
Bruce Herbold

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60695 · suepetyt · 9 Apr 2011 11:06:06 · Top

The Scamp

Best Wishes
Sue Petyt
www.suepetyt.me.uk

--
Bruce Herbold

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60684 · Anselm Lingnau · 9 Apr 2011 01:17:42 · Top

Iain Boyd wrote:

> I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one
> or more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down
> the middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those
> dancing out dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the
> reel while those dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other
> end.

Off the top of my head: The Cornerhouse Jig, by Derek Haynes; The Scamp, by
David Queen, from the Whiteadder Collection; there are more (including one
that I vaguely remember teaching recently but apparently can't find quickly).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
You can't enforce morality by syntax. -- Larry Wall

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60685 · Rebecca Sager · 9 Apr 2011 01:44:02 · Top

Recently in the Southeast we have been doing the 3c set reel A Trip Around Salt Spring from the Katannuta Collection in which the reels are up and down the center of the set.. At Thistle School last year Mary McConnell Campbell introduced The Heavenly Dancers, a strathspey with reels of four on the diagonal, published in the Thistle XXX collection.

Nobody is calling these Weasel Reels??

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Marcy Shirley

> I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one
> or more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down
> the middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those
> dancing out dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the
> reel while those dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other
> end.

Off the top of my head: The Cornerhouse Jig, by Derek Haynes; The Scamp, by
David Queen, from the Whiteadder Collection; there are more (including one
that I vaguely remember teaching recently but apparently can't find quickly).

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
You can't enforce morality by syntax. -- Larry Wall

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60686 · Bruce Herbold · 9 Apr 2011 01:48:07 · Top

that's the name I know them by. (for those who don't know, it's from
pop goes the ....in reference to dancers 'popping' into and out of the
reels).

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Becky Sager <bsager3@juno.com> wrote:
> Recently in the Southeast we have been doing the 3c set reel  A Trip Around Salt Spring from the Katannuta Collection in which the reels are up and down the center of the set.. At Thistle School last year Mary McConnell Campbell introduced The Heavenly Dancers, a strathspey with reels of four on the diagonal, published in the Thistle XXX collection.
>
> Nobody is calling these Weasel Reels??
>
> Becky
>
> Becky Sager
> Marietta GA USA
>          "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
> learning how to dance in the rain."   Marcy Shirley

Message 60692 · Iain Boyd · 9 Apr 2011 05:54:28 · Top

Greetings all,

Many thanks for the prompt replies.

I have danced some of the suggested dances. All I have to do now is check
whether I have all of them and decide which I want to teach.

I may get back to some of you if I find that I do not have the instructions.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60694 · Nachteule7 · 9 Apr 2011 07:09:24 · Top

"Fireworks" (J40 3c/4c) from the Inverness 60th Anniversary book come to
my mind.

Martna

Martina Mueller-Franz
Langenfeld/Germany

> Greetings all,
>
> I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one
> or
> more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down
the
> middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those
dancing
> out
> dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while
> those
> dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.
>
> Regards,
>
> Iain Boyd

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60690 · Doug Mills · 9 Apr 2011 05:33:57 · Top

Hi Iain

Alasdair Brown's "The Laird of Dalnair".

Hooroo

Doug

Doug Mills
Christchurch
New Zealand

> Greetings all,
>
> I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one
> or
> more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down the
> middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those dancing
> out
> dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while
> those
> dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.
>
> Regards,
>
> Iain Boyd
>

> Postal Address -
>
> P O Box 11-404
> Wellington 6142
> New Zealand

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60708 · Duncan Brown · 10 Apr 2011 08:35:59 · Top

There is also Miss Helen Cleaves, published in Coryvrechan's 2nd collection
of social dances.

Duncan

Chudleigh,
Devon
UK

_____

Alasdair Brown's "The Laird of Dalnair".

Hooroo

Doug

Doug Mills
Christchurch
New Zealand

> Greetings all,
>
> I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one
> or
> more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down the
> middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those dancing
> out
> dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while
> those
> dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.
>
> Regards,
>
> Iain Boyd
>

> Postal Address -
>
> P O Box 11-404
> Wellington 6142
> New Zealand

_____

No virus found in this message.

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60709 · Chris Ronald · 11 Apr 2011 02:34:30 · Top

Hello Iain,

One more dance: Ballantine House, by Milton Levy in the Tin Woodman book,
also has reels of four that may answer your description. It didn't
originally occur to me, because I never previously thought of the reels as
"weasel reels". This is because the axis of the reel changes after four
bars (from first to second corner diagonal). But as far as I can tell,
several of the dances mentioned in this thread have reels with an axis that
changes, so perhaps it may be of interest.

It's a long time since I did the dance. But I do remember it's very clever
(as one would expect of a Milton Levy dance) and very satisfying once one
gets the hang of it.

There is also a recording, on the Tin Woodman CD by Roy Hendrie.

Chris, New York.

> Greetings all,

> > I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include one
> > or
> > more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down
> the
> > middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those
> dancing
> > out
> > dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while
> > those
> > dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Iain Boyd
> >

> > Postal Address -
> >
> > P O Box 11-404
> > Wellington 6142
> > New Zealand
> >

> _____
>
> No virus found in this message.

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60725 · Peter Price · 11 Apr 2011 18:14:54 · Top

Here is another - *The Weasel* by Barry Skelton: 24 R 3C in The Kiwi Book.

Peter Price
New Haven, Ct

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Chris Ronald <cjr878@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Iain,
>
> One more dance: Ballantine House, by Milton Levy in the Tin Woodman book,
> also has reels of four that may answer your description. It didn't
> originally occur to me, because I never previously thought of the reels as
> "weasel reels". This is because the axis of the reel changes after four
> bars (from first to second corner diagonal). But as far as I can tell,
> several of the dances mentioned in this thread have reels with an axis that
> changes, so perhaps it may be of interest.
>
> It's a long time since I did the dance. But I do remember it's very clever
> (as one would expect of a Milton Levy dance) and very satisfying once one
> gets the hang of it.
>
> There is also a recording, on the Tin Woodman CD by Roy Hendrie.
>
> Chris, New York.
>

> > Greetings all,
>

> > > I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include
> one
> > > or
> > > more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down
> > the
> > > middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those
> > dancing
> > > out
> > > dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while
> > > those
> > > dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Iain Boyd
> > >

> > > Postal Address -
> > >
> > > P O Box 11-404
> > > Wellington 6142
> > > New Zealand
> > >

> > _____
> >
> > No virus found in this message.

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60728 · Paula · 11 Apr 2011 20:15:45 · Top

Also by Barry Skelton, 8X32R "Southern Aurora" from "The Dawning".
Here is another - *The Weasel* by Barry Skelton: 24 R 3C in The Kiwi Book.

Peter Price
New Haven, Ct

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Chris Ronald <cjr878@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Iain,
>
> One more dance: Ballantine House, by Milton Levy in the Tin Woodman book,
> > Greetings all,
>

> > > I would appreciate help identifying a dance (or dances) which include
> one
> > > or
> > > more reels of four (either on the diagonal with corners OR up and down
> > the
> > > middle) where dancers swap places at the ends of each reel - those
> > dancing
> > > out
> > > dance a chase round the outside to the opposite end of the reel while
> > > those
> > > dancing in dance a half reel before exiting at the other end.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Iain Boyd
> > >

> > > Postal Address -
> > >
> > > P O Box 11-404
> > > Wellington 6142
> > > New Zealand
> > >

> > _____
> >
> > No virus found in this message.

Dances with Reels of Four involving six dancers

Message 60701 · Chris Ronald · 9 Apr 2011 16:05:16 · Top

Hello Iain,

In case you do not have 'An Itch to Dance' by Terry Glasspool, the name of
the dance that Bruce mentioned is "The *Last* Way to Hanale'i". I see
that most of the dances are in minicrib, but this one isn't. The Last Way
to Hanale'i has half reels of four up and down the middle.

Let me know if you need more details.

Best,

Chris.