strathspey Archive: Off-topic bathtub caution

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60662 · Rebecca Sager · 8 Apr 2011 17:28:44 · Top

Anselm's most recent tagline:

WRITING TIP FOR PROFESSIONALS: To make your writing more appealing to the
reader, avoid writing negatively.Use positive expressions instead.
WRONG: Do not use this appliance in the bathtub. RIGHT: Go ahead and use
this appliance in the bathtub. -- Dave Barry, _Ask Mister Language Person_

If you doze off while reading your Kindle in the bathtub - there's no five-second rule. Very brief immersion will totally kill it, as I found out this week.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain." Marcy Shirley

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60672 · Anselm Lingnau · 8 Apr 2011 19:41:47 · Top

Becky Sager wrote:

> If you doze off while reading your Kindle in the bathtub - there's no
> five-second rule. Very brief immersion will totally kill it, as I found
> out this week.

The general first-aid rule in case of gadget immersion is to immediately take
the battery out, and to leave the thing to dry out very slowly (i.e., do not
use the hair dryer/oven/microwave/… to give it a boost).

I don't know if a Kindle has a take-out-able battery – if not, that might be a
problem. A former SO of mine once dropped her phone into the bathtub while a
conversation (with me) was ongoing (it made for some very strange sound
effects), but after removing the batteries out and leaving it on the
windowsill for a couple of days it was fine. I've also inadvertently laundered
(at pants temperature) and spin-dried USB pen drives which turned out none the
worse for the experience – although I wouldn't recommend people to repeat
these experiments.

I wonder whether there are waterproof Kindle covers for people who enjoy
reading in their bath? With floats? If not, remember you heard about it here
first.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
Well, when I say respectable, I mean they are respectable in all sorts of

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60674 · Andrew Smith · 8 Apr 2011 20:06:27 · Top

The battery may have suffered a short circuit as well, so after following
Anselm's advice it is worth trying a new battery or seeing if the existing
one will hold a charge before giving up on the whole thing

Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
> If you doze off while reading your Kindle in the bathtub - there's no
> five-second rule. Very brief immersion will totally kill it, as I found
> out this week.

The general first-aid rule in case of gadget immersion is to immediately
take
the battery out, and to leave the thing to dry out very slowly (i.e., do not
use the hair dryer/oven/microwave/… to give it a boost).

I don't know if a Kindle has a take-out-able battery – if not, that might be
problem. A former SO of mine once dropped her phone into the bathtub while a
conversation (with me) was ongoing (it made for some very strange sound
effects), but after removing the batteries out and leaving it on the
windowsill for a couple of days it was fine. I've also inadvertently
laundered
(at pants temperature) and spin-dried USB pen drives which turned out none
the
worse for the experience – although I wouldn't recommend people to repeat
these experiments.

I wonder whether there are waterproof Kindle covers for people who enjoy
reading in their bath? With floats? If not, remember you heard about it here
first.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany .................
anselm@strathspey.org
Well, when I say respectable, I mean they are respectable in all sorts of
subjects; but not in English grammar, obviously, because that's the subject
where nobody needs to know anything to be an expert and respectability isn't
defined.
-- Geoffrey K. Pullum on HarperCollins and the »Collins Good Writing
Guide«

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60693 · hobbes7 · 9 Apr 2011 06:30:56 · Top

I put my Kindle in a plastic bag (sandwich with a zipper) when reading in the tub. I don't truly believe it will be "waterproof" but I think it will buy me the "five second rule".

Jennifer Reiner
Phoenix, Arizona

On Apr 8, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Andrew Smith wrote:

> The battery may have suffered a short circuit as well, so after following Anselm's advice it is worth trying a new battery or seeing if the existing one will hold a charge before giving up on the whole thing
>
> Andrew Smith,
> Bristol, UK.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Anselm Lingnau" <anselm@strathspey.org>

Message 60696 · Pia Walker · 9 Apr 2011 11:27:48 · Top

Not waterproof Anselm, but safer - it's called a book!

Pia

> If you doze off while reading your Kindle in the bathtub - there's no
> five-second rule. Very brief immersion will totally kill it, as I
> found out this week.

The general first-aid rule in case of gadget immersion is to immediately take the battery out, and to leave the thing to dry out very slowly (i.e., do not use the hair dryer/oven/microwave/ to give it a boost).

I don't know if a Kindle has a take-out-able battery if not, that might be a problem. A former SO of mine once dropped her phone into the bathtub while a conversation (with me) was ongoing (it made for some very strange sound effects), but after removing the batteries out and leaving it on the windowsill for a couple of days it was fine. I've also inadvertently laundered (at pants temperature) and spin-dried USB pen drives which turned out none the worse for the experience although I wouldn't recommend people to repeat these experiments.

I wonder whether there are waterproof Kindle covers for people who enjoy reading in their bath? With floats? If not, remember you heard about it here first.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org Well, when I say respectable, I mean they are respectable in all sorts of subjects; but not in English grammar, obviously, because that's the subject where nobody needs to know anything to be an expert and respectability isn't defined.
-- Geoffrey K. Pullum on HarperCollins and the Collins Good Writing Guide

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60704 · Anselm Lingnau · 9 Apr 2011 20:21:27 · Top

Pia wrote:

> Not waterproof Anselm, but safer - it's called a book!

Books don't really like being dunked into the bathtub, either. It probably
doesn't matter all that much with a $5 paperback, but I would suggest to keep
the expensive bibliophile editions away from the bathroom. The Kindle may be
the cheaper option :^)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. anselm@strathspey.org
It's as if _The Da Vinci Code_ had been written by someone who wasn't an

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60706 · Volleyballjerry · 10 Apr 2011 01:41:31 · Top

In a message dated 4/8/2011 8:30:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
bsager3@juno.com writes:

If you doze off while reading your Kindle in the bathtub - there's no
five-second rule. Very brief immersion will totally kill it, as I found out
this week.

Becky

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60707 · Volleyballjerry · 10 Apr 2011 01:47:21 · Top

bsager3@juno.com writes:

If you doze off while reading your Kindle in the bathtub - there's no
five-second rule. Very brief immersion will totally kill it, as I found out
this week.

Becky
I would surmise that dozing off in the bathtub could possibly totally kill
the dozer as well.

(And apologies for the just previously sent blank message sent in
error...hitting some key or other in error--not clicking on "send"--sent it off ere
I even had typed anything!)

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Off-topic bathtub caution

Message 60712 · Stasa Morgan-Appel · 11 Apr 2011 03:50:17 · Top

What a wonderful thread. The folks on this list are marvelous. This is not
news, but I thought I would mention it again.

- Stasa, Delaware Valley Branch, USA

--
Staśa
list email account: smorganappel@gmail.com