strathspey Archive: (another...just today) earthquake in Christchurch

(another...just today) earthquake in Christchurch

Message 60430 · Volleyballjerry · 22 Feb 2011 03:02:29 · Top

Word is just arriving in California of...alas...yet another...just
today...6.3 earthquake in Christchurch (actually 10 km. southeast
reportedly)...cathedral damaged and possible fatalities. Any first-hand reports?

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

(another...just today) earthquake in Christchurch (OT)

Message 60431 · Patricia Ruggiero · 22 Feb 2011 03:20:29 · Top

Rob, this link is from friends in NZ.

See: http://tvnz.co.nz/news

Pat

> Word is just arriving in California of...alas...yet another...just
> today...6.3 earthquake in Christchurch (actually 10 km. southeast
> reportedly)...cathedral damaged and possible fatalities. Any first-hand
> reports?
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

(another...just today) earthquake in Christchurch (OT)

Message 60432 · Volleyballjerry · 22 Feb 2011 03:36:14 · Top

Thanks, Pat. And in the meanwhile I've found this rather extensive report
from the Sydney Morning Herald:

_http://www.smh.com.au/world/multiple-deaths-reported-after-quake-hits-chris
tchurch-20110222-1b356.html_
(http://www.smh.com.au/world/multiple-deaths-reported-after-quake-hits-christchurch-20110222-1b356.html)

Robb

In a message dated 2/21/2011 6:30:57 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ruggierop@earthlink.net writes:

Rob, this link is from friends in NZ.

See: http://tvnz.co.nz/news

Pat

> Word is just arriving in California of...alas...yet another...just
> today...6.3 earthquake in Christchurch (actually 10 km. southeast
> reportedly)...cathedral damaged and possible fatalities. Any first-hand
> reports?
>
> Robb Quint
> Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

(another...just today) earthquake in Christchurch

Message 60434 · Katharine Hoskyn · 22 Feb 2011 05:53:03 · Top

Hi

I live at the other end of New Zealand. We know only what we can gather
from the media. People in Christchurch have been asked not to use their
telephones except for emergencies. And the rest of New Zealand have likewise
been asked not to call into the area. There is little or no mobile phone
coverage which suggests that the mobile beacon (or whatever it is called)
has been damaged. Both the television broadcasting buildings in the area
have been damaged.

I don't think we will hear from the people on Strathspey from Christchurch
for a while.

The message from Civil Defense, the Prime Minister and others in authority
is to encourage people to deal in facts only. According to these sources,
so far there is one confirmed fatality. More are expected. The internet
reports from many NZ newspapers have been focusing on fatalities. TV and
other sources have been focusing on the many miracles that have occurred and
also the rescue efforts. Workers have been asked to leave the city centre
- and they are mostly having to do this by walking. There has been one
particularly poignant TV report showing a street full of people walking down
a road - ashen faced and looking stunned.

I have found the best source of information to be the reports from the BBC
World Service both radio and TV - the most factual. I found the same during
the Pike River disaster. I am extremely grateful for the service that the
BBC offers in these sorts of situations.

It is also amazing how quickly news now gets round the world.

Katharine

Katharine Hoskyn
Franklin District

Word is just arriving in California of...alas...yet another...just
today...6.3 earthquake in Christchurch (actually 10 km. southeast
reportedly)...cathedral damaged and possible fatalities. Any first-hand
reports?

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

(another...just today) earthquake in Christchurch

Message 60435 · Jim and Donna Ferguson · 22 Feb 2011 06:41:20 · Top

Any news is appreciated. Thank you. My husband and I were in New Zealand a
few years ago. It is so beautiful and the people so warm and welcoming.
From the few pictures we saw, we recognized streets where we walked, and
it's heartbreaking to see the damage. Our prayers and thoughts are with the
people there.
Donna and Jim Ferguson, Ohio, USA